Bennet at the 2016 Wondercon
April 18, 1992
Chicago, Illinois, United States
(Chinese; pinyin: Wāng Kěyíng)
Chloe Wang (born April 18, 1992), known professionally as Chloe Bennet, is an American actress and singer. She currently plays the role of Daisy Johnson (formerly known as Skye) in the ABC spy-fi series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Bennet's father is Han Chinese and her mother is Caucasian American. She has six brothers: three biological, two foster and one adopted; two are African American and one is Mexican-Filipino. She attended St. Ignatius College Prep. At 15, she moved to China to pursue a singing career under her birthname, Chloe Wang (汪可盈).
While in China, Bennet lived with her paternal grandmother in Beijing, and studied Mandarin. She performed as a singer and then moved to Los Angeles, California. Her first on-screen appearance was as a host for the short-lived TeenNick summer dance series The Nightlife. She appeared in the 2011 music video for South Korean band BIGBANG's extended play musical recording Tonight.
While pursuing an acting career in Hollywood, she changed her professional name to "Chloe Bennet", after having trouble booking gigs with her last name. According to Bennet, using her father's first name rather than his last name avoids difficulties being cast as an ethnic Asian American while respecting her father. In September 2017, after actor Ed Skrein stepped down from his role as Major Ben Daimio in the then-in production film Hellboy following backlash over the fact that Skrein, a white man, was playing Daimio, a character who is Japanese-American in the Hellboy comics, Bennet applauded Skrein's decision, and addressed her own experiences as an Asian actor in Hollywood, saying, "Changing my last name doesn't change the fact that my BLOOD is half Chinese, that I lived in China, speak Mandarin or that I was culturally raised both American and Chinese. It means I had to pay my rent, and Hollywood is racist and wouldn't cast me with a last name that made them uncomfortable." Bennet had previously commented on the results of her name change in April 2016 by saying, "Oh, the first audition I went on after I changed my name, I got booked. So that’s a pretty clear little snippet of how Hollywood works."
From 2012-13, she played a recurring supporting role in the ABC drama series Nashville as Hailey. In December 2012, she was cast as a series regular on the ABC series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which premiered on September 24, 2013, where she portrays the character Daisy "Skye" Johnson / Quake.
|2014||Nostradamus||Lane Fisher||Short film|
|2015||Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast||Chase (Voice)||Voice, direct-to-video|
|2018||Valley Girl||Karen||Filming Finished|
|2010||The Nightlife||Herself / Host||As Chloe Wang|
|2012||Intercept||Tess||Unsold ABC Family pilot|
|2013–present||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Daisy "Skye" Johnson / Quake||Main; 87 episodes|
|2014||The Birthday Boys||Verna||Episode: "Love Date Hump"|
|2015||Jake and the Never Land Pirates||Swifty (Voice)||Voice; Episode: "Flight of the Feathers/Captain Hookity Hook"|
|2016||Talking Dead||Herself||Discussion of The Walking Dead episode "The Well"|
- "Uh Oh" (English Version) (2011)
- "Uh Oh" (Chinese Version) (2011)
- "Every Day in Between" (2011)
- "“Shén dùn jú” gōngbù zhǔjiǎo zàoxíng zhào wāngkěyíng shìyǎn hēikè sī kǎi" 《神盾局》公布主角造型照 汪可盈饰演黑客斯凯 ['SHIELD' announced; Wang Keying plays hacker Skye] (in Chinese). QQ.com. Tencent Entertainment News. August 23, 2013. Archived from the original on October 13, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013. (Google translation)
- 汪可盈 [Wang Keying] (in Chinese). Baidu. Archived from the original on August 29, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013. (Google translation)
- "Chloe Bennet". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Bennet, Chloe (May 15, 2013). "Just for the record I just turned 21 in April! I'm not 22!". Twitter. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Crowder, Courtney (December 9, 2013). "Chloe Bennet brings humor and heart to 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on July 7, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- Hiltbrand, David (November 12, 2013). "Chloe Bennet out to impress the guys". Philadelphia Inquirer. Archived from the original on December 18, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Wong, Tony (May 11, 2014). "Actress Chloe Bennet says changing her name changed her luck". The Toronto Star. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- ""Tonight" actress Chloe Wang poses for selcas with Big Bang members". Allkpop. March 3, 2011. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- Tharp, Sharon (September 1, 2017). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D’s Chloe Bennet Changed Her Last Name Because ‘Hollywood Is Racist’". Us Weekly.
- Goldberg, Lesley (December 19, 2012). "Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Pilot Enlists 'Nashville' Actress (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on July 10, 2015.
- "Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Completes Casting With Nashville Actress". TVLine. December 19, 2012. Archived from the original on December 21, 2012.
- "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Adds Chloe Bennett as Skye". MovieWeb. December 19, 2012. Archived from the original on February 20, 2013.
- "'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' reveals Skye's true identity -- what's next?". 10 December 2014.
- N'Duka, Amanda (2017-04-25). "‘Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Chloe Bennet, Logan Paul & More Join MGM’s ‘Valley Girl’ Remake". Deadline. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Every Day in Between - Single by Chloé Wang on Apple Music". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-03-24. Archived from the original on 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chloe Bennet.|