|Date of birth||25 September 1991|
|Place of birth||Seoul, South Korea|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2010–2012||Sun Moon University|
|2010||South Korea U20||2||(0)|
|2013–2014||South Korea U23||2||(0)|
|2018||South Korea U23 (WC)||5||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17 August 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 11 June 2019
|Revised Romanization||Jo Hyeon-u|
Jo Hyeon-woo was born between his mother and father, who was a gymnast in Seoul. Jo Hyeon-woo, who was a freshman in elementary school, decided to become a goalkeeper when he saw Kim Byung-ji's lead while watching 1998 France. Later, he said, "I'm excited because I started playing soccer after watching the World Cup, so I can be someone's dream." In the fifth grade of elementary school, the football coach of Shinjeong Elementary School Ham Sang-heon asked which child was the best goalkeeper in the schoolyard while worrying about not having a goalkeeper. The children pointed to Jo Hyeon-woo. At that time, coach Ham Sang-hun made several shots for the test and ordered Jo to save it. Jo Hyeon-woo prevented it, and Jo started his career as a goalkeeper when he was in fifth grade. Since then, he has been the main goalkeeper, and has played in national tournaments. In response, manager Ham Sang-hun said, "It was not once or twice that Hyeon-woo won by blocking Penalty shoot-out.
- As of 17 August 2019
|Daegu||2013||K League 1||14||0||0||0||—||14||0|
|2014||K League 2||15||0||0||0||—||15||0|
|2017||K League 1||35||0||1||0||—||36||0|
2018 FIFA World Cup
In May 2018 Jo Hyeon-Woo was named in South Korea’s preliminary 28-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. Originally chosen as the third-choice keeper, he ended up in the starting line-up due to the fact that he was taller than the other two keepers. His performances in the first two matches against Sweden and Mexico were impressive, despite both ending in defeats for South Korea. He was lauded particularly for his point-blank save against Swedish striker Marcus Berg which put him in the spotlight. Jo then played a prominent role in Germany's historic elimination from the first round of a World Cup for the first time since 1938 with a stellar performance, earning him the Man of the Match award. Cho made seven saves without conceding any goals. Unbeknownst to Jo or his teammates until the match was over, South Korea was also eliminated from the tournament despite their win (due to Sweden beating Mexico 0–3). South Korea finished ahead of Germany in Group F, placing third.
2018 Asian Games
Jo was named in the South Korea national under-23 football team squad for the 2018 Asian Games by wild card. He appeared in two matches against Bahrain and Kyrgyzstan in the group stage and finalized them with clean sheets. He also appeared in the round of 16 against Iran, but he was injured in the match. He was replaced with Song Bum-keun at the second half and he was excepted in the quarter-final starting line-up, but Song conceded 3 goals against Uzbekistan. Song received lots of criticism, so Jo appeared in the semi-final and final. Jo contributed to the U-23 South Korean team’s gold medal by conceding only 2 goals in the tournament and he was exempted from mandatory military service.
International clean sheets
- As of 20 November 2018
- Results list South Korea's goal tally first.
|Jo Hyeon-woo international clean sheets|
|1||12 December 2017||Chōfu||North Korea||1–0||2017 EAFF E-1 Football Championship|
|2||27 January 2018||Antalya||Moldova||1–0||Friendly match|
|3||28 May 2018||Daegu||Honduras||2–0||Friendly match|
|4||27 June 2018||Kazan||Germany||2–0||2018 FIFA World Cup|
|5||20 November 2018||Brisbane||Uzbekistan||4–0||Friendly match|
South Korea U23
- K League 1 Best XI: 2017, 2018
- K League 2 Best XI: 2015, 2016
- EAFF East Asian Cup Best Goalkeeper: 2017
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia – List of Players" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Jo Hyeon-woo at Soccerway
- "'San Zusi' Has Been Replaced By 'San Cho,' South Korea's Godly Keeper". The18. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- . 24 June 2018. 제목=2013년 새로운 친구를 소개합니다. <4>조현우 /성=대구FC /날짜=2013-01-17/웹사이트=대구FC /출판사= https://web.archive.org/web/20180624093029/http://www.daegufc.co.kr/board_story_clubnews01/view.php?tn=board_story_clubnews01&list_count_s=6&G_state=Y&pm=4.2.1&part_part_s=&subject_s=&content_s=Y&name_s=&writedate_s=&search_word_s=%EC%A1%B0%ED%98%84%EC%9A%B0&sid=2163&gid=&cpage=29&spage=21. Archived from the original on 24 June 2018.
깨진링크=아니오Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20180624063944/http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2018/06/16/0200000000AKR20180616043400007.HTML. Archived from /제목=%5b월드컵%5d 월드컵 보고 꿈 키운 조현우 "나도 누군가의 꿈이 되도록"/성= /날짜=2018-06-16 /뉴스=연합뉴스 /출판사= the original Check
|url=value (help) on 24 June 2018.
보존날짜=2018-06-24 /깨진링크=아니오Missing or empty
- (뉴스=축구저널 /출판사=). 15 November 2017. 제목=깜짝스타 조현우, 선수 시작은 ‘땜질용’이었다 /성=박재림 https://web.archive.org/web/20180624064907/http://www.footballjournal.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=7556. Archived from the original on 24 June 2018.
보존날짜=2018-06-24 /깨진링크=아니오Missing or empty
- "대구FC 신인 보강 마무리" (in Korean). Youngnam Ilbo. 11 December 2012.
- "Roster for 2nd World Cup Qualifier Announced". world.kbs.co.kr. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Kim, Ui-gi (16 December 2017). "이재성 동아시안컵 MVP, 조현우 베스트 GK 등극" [Lee Jae-sung Dong-A San Cup MVP, Jo Hyun-woo best GK]. 한국일보 (in Korean). Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Revealed: Every World Cup 2018 squad – 23-man & preliminary lists & when will they be announced?". Goal. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Wilson, Jonathan (27 June 2018). "Germany crash out of World Cup group stage after defeat to South Korea". the Guardian. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "FIFA World Cup 2018: South Korea's Cho Hyun-woo, once considered too short to be a keeper, stands tall against Germany - Firstpost". www.firstpost.com. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- FIFA.com. "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Matches - Korea Republic - Germany - FIFA.com". www.fifa.com. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "World Cup 2018: Germany out of tournament after losing to South Korea". BBC Sport. 27 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "KFA Jo Hyeon-woo".
- "[2017 K리그 어워즈] 표심 분석…과반수 'MVP' 이재성, 90% 지지 '영플' 김민재" (in Korean). SPOTV News. 20 November 2017.
- "[포토] 조현우, K리그1 K리그1베스트11 골키퍼 선정!". sportschosun. 3 December 2018.
- "[K리그 어워즈] '킬러' 조나탄-주민규, 챌린지 베스트 11 선정" (in Korean). InterFootball. 1 December 2015.
- "패트리엇, 별을 쏘다" (in Korean). The Hankyoreh. 8 November 2016.
- "EAFF E-1 Football Championship 2017 Final Japan". EAFF.