February 3, 1988
Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Jo Gyu-hyeon|
Cho Kyu-hyun (born February 3, 1988), better known mononymously as Kyuhyun, is a South Korean singer and actor. He is best known as a member of South Korean boy group Super Junior, its sub-groups Super Junior-K.R.Y., Super Junior-M and a former member of the South Korean ballad group S.M. the Ballad. He is one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Commercial endorsements
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Concert and Tour
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Kyuhyun was born in Nowon, a district in Seoul. Kyuhyun has an older sister named Cho Ara. Kyuhyun's father is in the education business and owns a school. Kyuhyun's mother also runs an art academy and a guesthouse called 'MOM House' located at Myeongdong. Kyuhyun was initially urged to study law and would have been a lawyer if he had not become a singer. His original plans were abandoned once Kyuhyun joined a band in high school, where he became more interested in music and singing. His father was against his dream of singing but allowed him to do so if he did well on his college entrance exams and was accepted into a university. Kyuhyun enrolled in Kyunghee University with a major in Post-Modern Music. He received his bachelor's degree in 2013 and is currently enrolled in the university's master's program. Kyuhyun won third place at the Chin Chin Singing Competition in 2005.
2006–09: Debut with Super Junior, K.R.Y and Super Junior-M
Kyuhyun officially debuted in May 2006 as part of Super Junior, formerly "Super Junior 05", the first generation of the 12-member rotational boy band, who had debuted in November 2005 with the single, "TWINS (Knock Out)". In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following his addition to the group, they dropped the suffix "05" and became officially credited as Super Junior.
Kyuhyun made his first appearance as a part-time model of Super Junior in a news broadcast on 23 May 2006 where the group introduced their new single, U. His debut performance was on 27 May at SBS's I-Concert with "U", which was also the group's first comeback performance as a permanent group. The CD single "U" was released on 7 June 2006 and was their most successful single until the release of "Sorry, Sorry" in March 2009.
In November 2006, Kyuhyun, along with Yesung and Ryeowook, was placed in Super Junior's first subgroup, Super Junior-K.R.Y.. The trio specialize in ballads and debuted on 5 November on KBS's Music Bank. Kyuhyun made contributions to the soundtrack of the tvN drama Hyena, released in November 2006, with a solo track titled "Smile". Along with fellow member Ryeowook, Kyuhyun was featured in song "Wish" (소원), in labelmate TVXQ's repackaged edition of Mirotic in 2008.
In April 2008, Kyuhyun was put into the seven-member sub-group Super Junior-M, a Mandopop subgroup of Super Junior for the Chinese music industry. They debuted in China at the 8th Annual Music Chart Awards with the release of their first music video, "U" on 8 April 2008. This was followed by the release of the debut Chinese-language studio album, Me in selected provinces in China on 23 April and 2 May in Taiwan. Kyuhyun also collaborated with The Grace in early 2008 to perform "Just For One Day" (하루만) for The Grace's first album Hanbeon Deo, OK?.
In July 2009, Kyuhyun sang his first solo track. He was featured on Yoo Youngsuk's 20th anniversary tribute album, with a remake of Yoo's song "7 Years of Love" (7년간의 사랑). He first performed it on 12 July 2009 on the television programme Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketch Book. The song was released as a digital single and on Yoo's album on 30 June, with all proceeds going to UNICEF. He and bandmate Donghae performed "Happy Bubble", a commercial theme song for facial wash product "Happy Bath" with actress Han Ji-min, with a music video released on 19 August 2009.
2010–13: S.M. The Ballad and Solo activities
On 6 January 2010, Kyuhyun's solo track "Listen To You", for the Korean drama Pasta was released. It peaked at number one on music portals' real time charts. On 5 August, his third solo song "Hope, a dream that never sleeps" (희망은 잠들지 않는 꿈) for the television drama Baker King, Kim Tak Goo was released.
In November 2010, Kyuhyun along with label mates TRAX’s Jay, SHINee’s Jonghyun, and new singer Jino formed the project group SM The Ballad. It is described as their label's vocal unit group. They released their debut album, Miss You on 29 November 2010 and debuted on the music programme Inkigayo on 28 November. Their debut album includes a solo track, "Love Again" by Kyuhyun. In 2014, however, he along with TRAX's Jay and Jinho left the group S.M.The Ballad and the group made their comeback with 7 new members, Jonghyun being the only original member remaining in the group.
From 15 December 2010 to mid-January 2011, he rotated as D'Artagnan with TRAX's Jay "Typhoon" Kim in the The Three Musketeers, where they co-starred with Yoo Jun Sang, Im Ki Jun, Kim Mu Yul and Dana Hong at Chungmu Art Hall, Seoul. He placed first in an on-line poll for the Musical Rising Star Award at the 2010 Golden Ticket Awards, for his performance in the role of D'Artagnan.
In 2011, Kyuhyun contributed to group mate Siwon's drama Poseidon with the track "The Way to Break Up". It was composed by Yoon Jong Shin and included in his monthly project. Kyuyhun then sang "Late Autumn" for Yoon's November monthly project. Kyuhyun also appeared on KBS's Immortal Songs 2 replacing his band mate Yesung, winning two rounds.
Kyuhyun was one of four regular MCs on Super Junior's Foresight and in September he replaced fellow member Heechul as a regular MC on MBC's Radio Star. He also appeared on We Got Married as part of Fighting Junior, supporting fellow member Leeteuk and on-screen wife actress Kang So-ra. On 28 January 2012, Kyuhyun was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr., rotating with Um Ki-joon, Kim Jeong-hoon, Park Gwang-hyun and Key of Shinee in the Korean production of the Broadway musical Catch Me If You Can. The musical ran from 28 March to 10 June at the Blue Square, Samsung Card Hall, in Hannam-dong, Seoul.
From December 2012 to February 2013, he was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr. for the re-run of musical Catch Me If You Can. From March 2013 to April 2013, he was cast as D'Artagnan for the re-run of musical The three musketeers.
On 11 May 2013, it was announced that Kyuhyun would replace labelmate SHINee‘s Minho as the new MC of KBS 2TV‘s ‘Mamma Mia‘. The first broadcast with him as the main MC was on 19 May 2013. In June 2013, he featured in Super Junior-M's Henry solo song "Trap" alongside SHINee's Taemin. In August 2013, Kyuhyun graduated from Kyunghee University's postmodern music department with a bachelor's degree. News sources reported the graduations of Kyuhyun and classmate Kim Yeonji as unusual examples of entertainment stars taking their academic work seriously, about which Kyuhyun remarked, "I worked hard to get into university, so I was very attached."
2014–present: Solo debut
From 18 January to 23 February 2014, Kyuhyun starred in the musical adaptation of MBC's Moon Embracing the Sun, alongside Girls' Generation's Seohyun. The musical was performed at the Seoul Arts Center.
In May 2014, it was officially announced that Kyuhyun was to star in the musical Singin' In The Rain as Don Lockwood, with Girls' Generation's Sunny cast as the female lead. The musical was produced by SM C&C, a subsidiary of S.M. Entertainment, and ran from 5 June to 22 June 2014 at Chungmu Art Hall in Seoul.
During August 2014, Kyuhyun made a comeback with his fellow Super Junior members in their studio album, Mamacita. In August 2014, Kyuhyun was cast in his fifth musical, The Days. In 'The Days', he played the second lead character Mooyeong, a witty and free-spirited security guard for Blue House as well as friend of Jeong Hak. Along with Kyuhyun, actors Kim Seung Dae, Oh Jeong Hyuk, and Ji Chang Wook played Mooyeong. It ran from October 21, 2014 to January 2015.
It was officially announced on November 6, 2014 that Kyuhyun would be the next SM Entertainment male solo artist. The album, titled At Gwanghwamun was released on November 13, 2014, making Kyuhyun the first Super Junior member to have a solo debut. Kyuhyun made his first music show appearance on KBS2's Music Bank on November 14. Just two hours after its online release, the solo album's title track "At Gwanghwamun" started to top several major music sites and in 12 hours Kyuhyun achieved an 'all-kill' by placing his song "At Gwanghwamun" at the top of all nine digital Korean charts. All of his tracks made their way to top 10 on most music sites.
In December 2014, it was announced that Kyuhyun would be starring as Prince Phillip for the musical Robin Hood. He will take turns to play the role with BEAST's Yang Yoseob and actor Park Sunghwan. The musical opened in January 2015 at the D-Cube Arts Center in Seoul.
In early 2015 it was announced that Kyuhyun was to take part in a news-based KBS reality show entitled Fluttering India (두근두근 인도) along with TVXQ's Changmin, SHINee's Minho, CNBLUE's Jonghyun, INFINITE'S Sungkyu and Suho of EXO. Filming took place in Mumbai during February and the first episode was broadcast on KBS2 on April 10, 2015. It has been announced that following series will take place with the cast travelling to different locations.
On 25 March, it was announced that singer-songwriter Lee Moon Se had chosen Kyuhyun to be his new duet partner in his new album, New Direction. Their duet track, She is Coming, was released on April 7.
In September, SM Entertainment announced Kyuhyun would be hold his first solo concert And It's Fall Again, as part of SM Entertainment's concert series The Agit. The concert was held from November 6–8 and 13–15 at the SMTOWN Theatre in SMTOWN’s Coex Artium. His 6 days concert tickets were sold out in 46 seconds.
Kyuhyun released second extended play, Fall, Once Again with the title track A Million Pieces on October 14, following his comeback performances on music program M! Countdown on October 15. His next single, The Day We Felt The Distance was released on November 3.
From November 2015 to January 2016, Kyuhyun acted in the 15th anniversary production of the Werther musical as the main role Werther. He shared the role with senior actors Um Ki-joon and Jo Seung-woo. Kyuhyun also participated in the OST album of the musical.
From April 11 to June 5, Kyuhyun held solo Japan tour Super Junior Kyuhyun Japan Tour 2016 ~Knick Knack~ on several city Fukuoka, Sapporo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Nagoya, and Tokyo. Following released debut Japanese single, Celebration ~Bridge to You~ on May 25, 2016
In October 2016, it was announced that his upcoming album will be included Sung Si-kyung's composed song and plans to released in November. Kyuhyun will be performed new track from his upcoming album on his concert Autumn Memories: Story of a Novelist from October 29 to 30 at Ehwa Womans University and Busan from November 5 to 6 at Bexco Auditorium. His third EP, Waiting, Still was released on November 10. The album has including double title track, Blah Blah was produced by popular singer-songwriter Yoon Jong-shin and Still was produced by popular ballad singer Sung Si-kyung.
On December 12, Kyuhyun's first Japanese album One Voice and his second Japan tour Super Junior-Kyuhyun Japan Tour 2017 ~One Voice~ was announced. The album will be released on February 8, 2017.  The album includes five new song, Japanese single Celebration ～Kimini Kakeru Hashi～ (include B-side track: Lost my Way and Beautiful) and Japanese version of At Gwanghwamun and Blah Blah. On November 22, His second Japan tour schedule were revealed. The tour would be held from January 18 to March 5, 2017.
On the early morning of April 19, 2007, Kyuhyun along with Super Junior members Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk, and two managers were all hospitalized due to a serious car accident when a front tire burst and the car hit a guard rail while returning from the Super Junior Kiss the Radio show. Kyuhyun, who was sitting behind the driver's seat when the accident occurred, was the most injured and had a fractured hip, pneumothorax from broken ribs, and facial scratches and bruises.
The doctor told Kyuhyun's parents that to repair his pierced lungs he would have to make a hole in Kyuhyun's neck thus ending his career as a singer; Kyuhyun's father was the first to immediately reject the operation, stating that Kyuhyun would rather die than not be able to sing, and pleaded that the doctor find another way to repair his son's lungs. He was in a coma for four days and was told by doctors that he, "had about a 20 percent chance to live." Kyuhyun spent 6 days in the ICU before he was moved to a regular hospital room. Kyuhyun no longer needed the respiratory machine to support his breathing, though it was said that he was only able to walk on his own one month after the accident. Kyuhyun was discharged on July 5, 2007 after 78 days.
Vocal Cord surgery
Kyuhyun underwent Vocal Cord surgery on August 23, 2016.
Together with Super Junior/Super Junior-M as a whole group, Kyuhyun has endorsed for various brands such as Pepsi, Yamaha(New Fino), 12Plus, SPAO, Kyochon Chicken, LG phone, Tony Moly, Lotte Duty Free, Bonrich. In 2013, Kyuhyun and other SM artists Yoona, Choi Minho, Sulli, Seohyun, Siwon become the main models for SK Telecom. He endorsed Masita Seaweed for 6 years from 2011-2016. In 2016, he was chosen to be the representative of Samdasoo mineral water with SNSD's Taeyeon and A24 skincare products.
- One Voice (2017)
|2010||Super Show 3 3D||Himself|
|2012||I AM. - SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Himself |
|2013||Super Show 4 3D||Himself|
|2015||SM Town The Stage||Himself|
|2016||Bongsun, The Woman Who Dies If She Loves||Kim Joosung||Naver TV Cast||Lead Role|
|2011||Immortal Songs : Singing The Legend||KBS||Guest||Episode 10-15|
|2012||We Got Married||Shanghai Media Group||Cast||Chinese version|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest||Episode 116 with Henry|
|2014||Running Man||SBS||Guest||Episode 221|
|2015||Fluttering India||KBS||Cast||Episode 1-5|
|Running Man||SBS||Guest||Episode 265|
|King of Mask Singer||MBC||Guest||Episode 29-30 (Detective Cough)|
|You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook||KBS||Guest|
|2016||Two Yoo Project Sugar Man||JTBC||Guest||Episode 21 (Show Man)|
|Problematic Men||tvN||Guest||Episode 54|
|Infinite Challenge||MBC||Guest||Episode 498 with EXO|
|You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook||KBS||Guest||Episode 341|
|Knowing Bros||JTBC||Guest||Episode 47 with Hwang Woo-seul-hye|
|Weekly Idol||MBC Every1||Guest||Episode 278|
|2017||New Journey to the West (Season 3)||tvN||Cast|
|2010–2011, 2013||The Three Musketeers||D'Artagnan||Male Lead|
|2012, 2013||Catch Me If You Can||Frank Abagnale Jr.||Male Lead|
|2014||Moon Embracing the Sun||King Lee Hwon||Male Lead|
|Singin' in the Rain||Don Lockwood||Male Lead|
|The Days||Mooyeong||Second Male Lead|
|2015||Robin Hood||Prince Phillip||Second Male Lead|
Music video appearance
|2005||"Hi Ya Ya"||Chin Chin's Members|
|2009||"Happy Bubble"||Kyuhyun, Donghae, Han Ji-min|
|2011||"Late Autumn"||Yoon Jong-shin|
|2016||"The Blue Night of Jeju Island"||Taeyeon x Samda Band|
Concert and Tour
- Super Junior Kyuhyun Japan Tour 2016 ~Knick Knack~ (2016)
- Autumn-like Memory: The story of a Novelist (2016)
- Super Junior Kyuhyun Japan Tour 2017 ~One Voice~ (2017)
Awards and nominations
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Super Junior-M to appear on postage stamps". Newsen (in Korean). 2008-12-08. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "2005 Super Junior's official debut" Ent.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "SM Unveils 12-Membered Boy Group Named Super Junior" Arirang.co.kr. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-25
- "Super Junior adds new member, transformed into 13-person super group" Sina.com. 24 May 2006. Retrieved 2011-05-08 (Chinese)
- "SuperJunior releases third studio album" Epaper.jinghua.cn. 14 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "Super Junior – K.R.Y. Formed" 5 November 2006. Retrieved 5 May 2007
- "Super Junior-M debuts in China new album sweeps music scene (Super Junior-M出道中国 新碟引爆内地歌坛)" Ent.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "규현·종현·제이, 신예 지노와 프로젝트 SM더발라드 그룹 결성 – 중앙일보 연예" joinsmsn.com (2010-11-19) Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Korean)
- Kang Seung-hun "Super Junior Kyuhyun says advice from cast members helps with musical" 10 Asia. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-08
- "2010 Musical Rising Star Award Poll results" Golden Ticket Awards. Retrieved 2011-12-08 (Korean)
- "Super Junior Kyuhyun replaces Kim Heechul on 'Radio Star'" Asiae. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-22
- Sunwoo, Carla "Three join ‘Catch Me if You Can’" Joongang Daily. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- "[Exclusive] SuJu Kyuhyun chosen as 'Mamma Mia' MC... baton touch with Minho". May 11, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Lee, Nancy (May 31, 2013). "SM Releases Henry 『Trap』 Teaser Feat. Super Junior's Kyuhyun and SHINee's Taemin". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- (Korean)" '대학생활도 성실히' 슈주 규현·씨야 김연지 졸업"
- "2014.1.1 Ticket".
- jun2yng (29 April 2014). "Baekhyun, Kyuhyun, Sunny, and Jay Officially Announced as Leads for "Singin' in the Rain"".
- "SM C&C to launch musical 'Singin' in the Rain' starring Kyuhyun and Onew in talks - allkpop.com".
- "Super Junior To Release 7th Album August 29 At Midnight".
- "Super Junior's Kyuhyun joins his next musical 'The Days' - allkpop.com".
- "Super Junior's Kyuhyun to hold autumn concert for solo debut". 7 November 2014.
- "Kyuhyun Releases Multiple Teasers About His Solo Debut". 10 November 2014.
- "Daily K Pop News: Kyuhyun's solo debut 'At Gwanghwamun' receives an all-kill on charts".
- "Kyuhyun dominates charts with his song 'At Gwanghwamun' - allkpop.com".
- "'Robin Hood' musical reveals characters posters for Kyuhyun and Yoseob + teaser videos - allkpop.com".
- "'Robin Hood' Musical Releases Kyuhyun And Yoseob Teaser Images". 11 December 2014.
- an0ya (29 January 2015). "EXO's Suho, Infinite's Sunggyu, CNBLUE's Jonghyun Travel to India for New KBS Variety Show".
- an0ya (29 January 2015). "Super Junior's Kyuhyun, TVXQ's Changmin, and SHINee's Minho Also Confirmed for "Fluttering India"".
- kiddy_days (10 April 2015). ""Fluttering India" to Be a Series with Multiple Destinations".
- "KPOP NEWS - Lee Moon Sae Unveils Super Junior′s Kyuhyun as New Duet Partner in 16 Years - Mwave".
- "Kyuhyun Solo Concert". NowKpop. NowKpop. 2 October 2015.
- "Super Junior′s Kyuhyun to Make Comeback on 'M COUNTDOWN' Today (10/15)". CJ E&M enewsWorld. October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "Kyuhyun Disclosed His Second Solo Album". BNTNews. October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "Showbiz Korea－CHO SEUNG－WOO， UM KI－JOON ＆KYU－HYUN TO STAR IN A NEW MUSICAL". Oct 4, 2015. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Werther 15th Anniversary OST to be released with Um Ki-Joon, Jo Seung-woo, and Kyuhyun". BNTNews. December 23, 2015. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Super Junior's Kyuhyun to take a break due to vocal cord nodules". Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- "SUPER JUNIOR-KYUHYUN 日本初のソロアルバム「ONE VOICE」2017年2月8日リリース、ツアータイトルも決定！！". superjunior-jp.net. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "SUPER JUNIOR-KYUHYUN 2月8日リリース1stアルバム「ONE VOICE」全曲ダイジェストを公開！！". superjunior-jp.net. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "SUPER JUNIOR-KYUHYUN JAPAN TOUR 2017 ～ONE VOICE～横浜公演・福岡公演 一般発売開始！". superjunior-jp.net. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Front tyre brusts, four Super Junior members in serious car accident (车前轮爆胎 Super Junior四成员遭遇重大车祸)" sina.com. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Super Junior serious car accident, Kyuhyun most serious (Super Junior遭遇车祸 奎贤伤势最重)" sina.com (2007-04-19) Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Four Super Junior members accident latest development (Super Junior四成员车祸最新进展)" sina.com. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Kyuhyun on medical ventilator and speaks for first time since accident (圭贤撤掉人工呼吸器 车祸之后首次开口)" sina.com. 24 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- Kim, Lynn (14 July 2010). "Kyuhyun says "had about 20% chance to live" 3 years ago". 10 Asia. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "SJ Kyuhyun moved to regular ward, Shindong and Eunhyuk discharged home to recuperate (SJ圭贤即将转至普通病房 神童银赫出院休养)" sina.com. 24 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Super Junior's Kyuhyun To Take Break Due To Vocal Cord Nodules". KBS World Radio. 23 August 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cho Kyuhyun.|