|Municipality and town|
Road to Choachí
Location of the municipality and town inside Cundinamarca Department of Colombia
|Founded||29 September 1560|
|Founded by||Antonio Bermúdez|
Álvaro Gutiérrez Pardo|
|• Municipality and town||223 km2 (86 sq mi)|
|• Urban||10.4 km2 (4.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,923 m (6,309 ft)|
|• Municipality and town||10,729|
|• Density||48/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Colombia Standard Time)|
Choachí is a municipality and town of Colombia in the Eastern Province of the department of Cundinamarca. The municipality borders La Calera in the north, Ubaque in the south, in the east Fómeque and westward of Choachí is the Colombian capital Bogotá. The town centre is located at 38 kilometres (24 mi) from the centre of the capital. Within the boundaries of Choachí the Páramo de Cruz Verde is situated.
The name Choachí is derived from the original name in Chibcha: Chi-gua-chí, which means "Our Mountain of the Moon". The Muisca had a strong lunar cult and worshipped the goddess of the Moon, Chía in various places across their territories. It is believed that in Choachí a place of worship to the Moon was located.
The area of Choachí was inhabited by the southern Muisca, part of the Muisca Confederation ruled by the zipa of Bacatá. The modern foundation of the town was early in the Spanish conquest of the Muisca, in 1560, by soldiers of conquistador Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada. In 1601 a parish was constructed in Choachí.
In the first half of the 20th century within Choachí the Choachí Stone has been found, possibly in a grave. The stone, carved in lydite may represent the Muisca calendar, a complex lunisolar calendar used by the Muisca. Also petroglyphs have been discovered in Choachí.
- A number of episodes of the popular series Escobar, el patrón del mal were filmed in Choachí
- The highest waterfall of Colombia with 590 metres (1,940 ft) is located in Choachí
- (in Spanish) Official website - information Choachí - accessed 29-04-2016
- Izquierdo, 2009, p. 86
- Izquierdo Peña, Manuel Arturo. 2009. The Muisca Calendar: An approximation to the timekeeping system of the ancient native people of the northeastern Andes of Colombia (PhD), 1-170. Université de Montréal. Accessed 2016-07-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Choachí.|
- (in Spanish) Petroglyhs discovered in Choachí - accessed 29-04-2016