|Census-designated place & Unincorporated community|
Location of Choccolocco in Calhoun County, Alabama.
|• Total||11.74 sq mi (30.40 km2)|
|• Land||11.64 sq mi (30.16 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.24 km2)|
|Elevation||679 ft (207 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||N/A|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||256 & 938|
|GNIS feature ID||159400|
The community gained brief notoriety in 2001 when The Daily Show aired a piece on the "Choccolocco Monster", a part of local folklore concerning sightings of a mysterious creature in the area in the late 1960s. An October 2001 article in the Anniston Star newspaper revealed that the creature was, in fact, local resident Neal Williamson dressed in a cow skull and a sheet. As a teenager, Williamson would don his costume and gain the attention of passing cars by jumping out of the woods onto the roadside, often startling motorists.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 17, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Choccolocco". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Choccolocco CDP, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- Ghosts Near Mississippi | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
- The Anniston Star - The Choccolocco Monster: Jokester reveals 32-year-old prank Archived 2005-11-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
|This Alabama state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|