Chocky (TV series)
|Directed by||Vic Hughes|
|Produced by||Vic Hughes
|Written by||John Wyndham (novel)
|Edited by||Oscar Webb|
Chocky is a 1984 children's television drama based on the 1968 novel by John Wyndham and was broadcast on ITV in the United Kingdom. Two sequels were produced. All were written by Anthony Read and produced by Thames Television. The series was also broadcast and popular in Czechoslovakia - both dubbings were made (Czech language and Slovak language). It was also dubbed in French and broadcast in Canada in the late 80s and early 90s.
While the 1968 novel was set in an unspecified 'near future', the TV adaptation was set contemporaneously in the mid-1980s. The Gore family acquire a second generation Citroen CX car which was marketed as being technologically advanced at the time.
Matthew Gore is an intelligent boy chosen by a mysterious extraterrestrial visitor to be a source of information about life on Earth. As his schoolwork and artistic talent improve dramatically he arouses the suspicion of powerful groups who wish to tap into the amazing fund of knowledge to which he is now party.
A year has passed since Matthew said goodbye to his alien friend, and in the summer holidays he meets Albertine, a mathematical prodigy, with whom he discovers he can communicate telepathically. One day Chocky returns to warn him that they are both in danger. When he returns to tell Albertine, he finds she has disappeared.
Chocky, an invisible being from another world, has come into Matthew's life. His powerful knowledge has aroused a great deal of interest from the military, and they are willing to take drastic action if they don't get what they want.
- Matthew Gore - Andrew Ellams
- David Gore - James Hazeldine
- Mary Gore - Carol Drinkwater
- Polly Gore - Zoë Hart
- Albertine Meyer - Anabel Worrell
- Arnold Meyer - Prentis Hancock
- Chocky's Voice - Glynis Brooks
- Chocky: 9 January - 13 February 1984, repeated in re-edited single episode form during the Christmas 1984 holidays
- Chocky's Children: 7 January - 11 February 1985
- Chocky's Challenge: 29 September - 16 October 1986
The re-edited single episode, originally broadcast at the end of 1984, was released on VHS by Thames Video in the mid-1980s.
The complete Chocky saga was available on DVD (all-region PAL, UK) from Second Sight. This set is now out of print. Revelation Films re-released the whole series in August 2010.
- Chocky (1984) at the Internet Movie Database
- Chocky's Children (1985) at the Internet Movie Database
- Chocky's Challenge (1986) at the Internet Movie Database
- Little Gems