Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company
|Founder||Chuck Sr. & Nancy Deadman|
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Co. is an ice cream company based in Madison, Wisconsin that manufactures and distributes super-premium ice cream, frozen yogurt, Italian ice, soy ice cream, and no sugar added ice cream.
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company was founded in 1962 by Chuck Sr. and Nancy Deadman as a candy and ice cream shop in Madison, Wisconsin. The original shoppe was called Chocolate House Candy and Ice Cream, and served candies purchased from Chocolate House of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and 19 flavors of homemade super-premium ice cream. The company expanded by opening additional locations in the Madison area, and selling ice cream to local restaurants and businesses. In the 1970s the company focused in on the ice cream business by ceasing their candy sales, building an ice cream manufacturing plant at 2221 Daniels St., Madison, WI and changing the company name to Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company.
Today, Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream is run by the founders' two sons, Chuck Jr. and Dave Deadman. The company owns a manufacturing plant and three ice cream shoppes in Madison, manufactures over 100 ice cream flavors, and distributes product to over 300 independently owned ice cream parlors and businesses across the country.
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream produces super-premium ice cream with 14% butterfat content and 35% overrun (air). All the ice cream is kosher certified and made with rBGH-free cream. The company is known for their all natural "Zanzibar Chocolate" ice cream made with three kinds of cocoa, and for their unconventional flavors such as "Fat Elvis" made with banana ice cream, a peanut butter ripple and chocolate chunks, and "Scotch Ale Caramel Crunch" made with scotch ale ice cream, caramel and heath pieces.
In addition to ice cream, Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream also makes non-dairy soy cream, frozen yogurt, no sugar added ice cream, and non-dairy Italian ice.
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream has won several national awards and earned national attention with their ice cream. Recent awards include:
- Zanzibar Chocolate
- Old Fashioned Vanilla
- Best Holiday Flavor from NICRA in 2010
"Best of Madison" from Madison Magazine.
- Carlson, J. (2011, August 1). Chocolate shoppe ice cream. Madison magazine, 27, 24-25. Retrieved from http://www.joomag.com/magazine/mom_aug11/0065172001310676838
- Carlson, J. (2012, October 16). Longevity in business: After 50 years, we all scream for chocolate shoppe ice cream. Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved from http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/longevity-in-business-after-years-we-all-scream-for-chocolate/article_1e8bcb64-170d-11e2-8078-0019bb2963f4.html
- Carlson, J. (2011, May 23). What i do: He has the scoop on quality at chocolate shoppe. Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved from http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/what-i-do-he-has-the-scoop-on-quality-at/article_9ea8c61c-8578-11e0-b6be-001cc4c002e0.html
- Wendt-Kaisler, S., (Director). (2012). News 3 This Morning. September 21. Madison: TV 3. Retrieved from http://video.channel3000.com/watch.php?id=44444
- Roggensack, K. (2012, November 14). Local ice cream arrives on uwgb campus. Fourth Estate. Retrieved from http://www.fourthestatenewspaper.com/life/2012/11/14/local-ice-cream-arrives-on-uwgb-campus/
- Pohl, K. (2012, June 15). Music meets sweets at new downtown palatine ice cream shop. Daily Herald. Retrieved from http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120615/news/706159699/
- National Ice Cream Retailers Suppliers Association. (2010, November 13). Nicra 2010 convention review. Retrieved from http://www.nicra.org/archive10.html
- It's a sweet victory for many ice cream retailers. (2012, November 18). QSR Magazine, Retrieved from http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/its-sweet-victory-many-ice-cream-retailers QSR_IndustryNews (QSR Industry News)
- World dairy expo championship announces grand champion winners. (2011, August 22). Dairy foods, Retrieved from http://www.dairyfoods.com/articles/world-dairy-expo-championship-announces-grand-champion-winners
- National Ice Cream Retailers Suppliers Association. (2011, November 5). Nicra 2011 convention review. Retrieved from http://www.nicra.org/archive.html#review11
- National Ice Cream Retailers Suppliers Association. (2009, November 7). Nicra 2009 convention review. Retrieved from http://www.nicra.org/archive09.html
- Johnson. (Performer) (2011, September 12). Ice cream: socially acceptable lick food [Television series episode]. In Beshenkovsky, J. (Executive Producer), Crave. New York City, NY: Food Network.
- Harshman, C. (2012, July 01). Best of madison 2012. Madison magazine, Retrieved from http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/July-2012/Best-of-Madison-2012/