|Alternative names||Chocolate cream pie|
|Main ingredients||Puff pastry, dark chocolate, cream and eggs|
Chocolate tart, also known as chocolate cream pie, is a dessert consisting of dark chocolate, cream and eggs, beaten together, poured into a crisp, unsweetened pastry shell and baked until firm. It is considered a form of custard tart because it includes an egg-based filling. The dish is similar in composition to chocolate mousse, however, being baked gives the chocolate tart a firmer texture.
Due to the expense of the ingredients and difficulty of making the pastry, the dish is relatively rare except in upscale cafés. It has many variants, and is considered a gourmet dessert. An early 19th century book for "opulent families" featured a chocolate tart recipe that included cinnamon and lemon peel, taken from a 1770 book.
In Australia the chocolate tart came to national attention after being featured on the first series of MasterChef Australia in 2009. Subsequently billed as "Australia's most famous dessert", a chocolate tart recipe became one of the deciding factors in determining the winner of the series final, although the recipe had been simplified from the original for the show. The dessert has also featured on British TV series The Naked Chef, in which Jamie Oliver cooked a chocolate tart for a romantic meal with his girlfriend (and future wife).
- Nutt, Frederick (1809). The imperial and royal cook: consisting of the most sumptuous made dishes, ragouts, fricassees, soups, gravies, &c. foreign and English : including the latest improvements in fashionable life. Printed for Mathews and Leigh by James Moyes. p. 311.
- Borella (1770). The court and country confectioner: or, The house-keeper's guide; to a more speedy, plain, and familiar method of understanding the whole art of confectionery, pastry, distilling, and the making of fine flavoured English wines from all kinds of fruits, herbs, and flowers. G. Riley and A. Cooke. p. 320.
- Hildebrand, Joe (July 21, 2009). "ARIA chef Matt Moran reveals MasterChef dessert was dumbed down". The Daily Telegraph. New South Wales, Australia. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- "Chook and chocolate tart clinch MasterChef prize – Julie's home and hosed". The Gold Coast Bulletin. Gold Coast, Australia. July 20, 2009. p. 2.
- "Jamie Oliver's chocolate tart recipe". The Naked Chef. Asian Food Network website. Retrieved 20 December 2011.