|Revised Romanization||Choe Deok-sin|
In 1936, Choe graduated from Republic of China Military Academy, and served as a Republic of China Army officer. When World War II ended, Choe was promoted to colonel. After the war Choe returned to South Korea and entered Army Academy as a second lieutenant. In 1949, Choe entered the United States Army Academy. On 14 July 1950, Choe returned to South Korea. Choe served as a commanding general of 11th division under the United States IX Corps during Korean War. His division carried out the Sancheong-Hamyang and Geochang massacres. After the military coup, from 1961 to 1963, Choe served as a Foreign Minister and Ambassador to West Germany.
In 1986, Choe defected with his wife Ryu Mi-yong to North Korea from their exile in the United States, where they had been known for their opposition to the policies of the South Korean military government. Choe served as a chief of the central committee of the Chondogyo religious movement and vice-chairman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland.
- Choe Deok-sin (1972). Panmunjom and After. New York: Vantage Press. OCLC 754916.
- — (1987). The Nation and I: For the Reunification of the Motherland. Pyongyang: Foreign Languages Publishing House. OCLC 17933376.
- — (1989). My Thirty Years in South Korea: Amid the Tragedy of National Division. Pyongyang: Foreign Languages Publishing House. OCLC 21567991.
- — (1990). In the Embrace of My Motherland. Pyongyang: Foreign Languages Publishing House. OCLC 27117555.
- "Choi Duk Shin, 75, Ex-South Korean Envoy". Associated Press. 1989-11-19. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- 산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? 아녀자, 어린이 대부분...알려진 산청 함양사건과는 별개 출처 : 산청 시천면 양민학살, 어떤 사건인가? - 오마이뉴스. Ohmynews (in Korean). 2000-05-16. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "Article: Ryu Mi-yong -- Representitive (sic) of Chongdogyo in North Korean". Korea Times. HighBeam. 2000-08-16. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
| Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade of South Korea
|This article about a Korean politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|