March 27, 1962 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Spouse(s)||June Elizabeth Kang|
|Revised Romanization||Choe Min-su|
Choi was born in Seoul in 1962. Choi's family has been active in acting, and singing . Choi was born as the son of Choi Moo-ryong, a popular actor of the 1960s and 1970s, and Kang Hyo-shil, an actress. His maternal grandmother is Jeon Ok, referred to as Queen of Tears for her excellence at acting for tragic dramas. His grandfather is Kang Hong-shik, an actor, a film director and singer active during the Japanese occupation period. Kang Hong-sik and Jeon Ok were the first married couple in Korean entertainment history. Kang went over to North Korea along with his daughter Kang Hyo-son who later became a famous actress of North Korea. Kang Hong-shik was honored as "Merited artist" as well.
Choi graduated from Lila Elementary School, Seongdong Middle School, Dongbuk High School and Seoul Arts College. Choi debuted to the film industry in 1985 with Son of God, a film adapted from Park Bong-seong's same titled manhwa.
Choi met his wife June Elizabeth Kang from an international Miss Korea Beauty Pageant in 1993 where Kang was being represented as Miss Canada. Choi proposed to Kang after a 3-hour meeting and they were married June 18, 1994 in Seoul. They have two children, Christian (born 1996) and Benjamin (born 2001).
Choi took a voluntary leave from acting following a scandal in 2008. He was involved in an assault case in April 2008 after a street-side argument ended in violence. An elderly man saw Choi cursing at another driver and rebuked him. The situation escalated and Choi beat up the man. The actor attempted to drive away, but the man grabbed onto the hood of the car and refused to let go. Choi was let go by police when the victim declined to press charges, but the public reaction was swift and condemning. The actor apologized profusely for his behavior and swore to live in exile in the mountains, away from his wife and children, for a year.
- *Note; the whole list is referenced.
|Year||English title||Original title||Romanization||Role||Director|
|2014||How to Steal a Dog||개를 훔치는 완벽한 방법||Gaereul humchineun wanbyeokhan bangbeob||Dae-po||Kim Sung-ho|
|2006||My Wife Is a Gangster 3||조폭마누라 3||Jo-pok Ma-nu-ra 3|
|2005||The Myth||신화 - 진시황릉의 비밀
|2003||Sword in the Moon||청풍명월||Cheong Pung Myeong Wol|
|Chu Noh-Myoung Bakery||Ju Nomyoung be-ikeoli|
|Phantom, the Submarine||Yulyeong|
|Story of A Man||Namja i-yagi|
|Come to Me||Na-ege ola|
|My old sweetheart||Ajji-appa|
|A Good Day to Fall in Love||Salanghagi joh-eunnal||(also credited as planner)||Kwon Chil-in|
|I wish for what is forbidden to me||Naneun somanghanda naege
|Life of Hollywood Kid||Heolli-udeukideu-ui saeng-ae|
|A Honeymoon Trip||Mil-wol-yeohaeng|
|The Man with Breasts||Gaseumdallin namja|
|We Must Go to
Apgujung-dong on Windy Days
|The Marriage Life||Gyeolhon-i-yagi|
|Mister Mama||Miseuteo mamma|
|For Agnes||Ageuneseuleul wiha-yeo|
|The Winter Dream Does Not Fly||Gyeo-ulkkum-eun nalji anhneunda|
|1990||North Korean Partisan in South Korea||Nambugun|
|The Last Dance with Her||Geuneuwa-ui majimakchum-uil|
|That Last Winter||Geu magimak gyeowul|
|The Lady in the Wall||Byeoksok-ui buin|
|Son of God||Sin-ui adeul|
|Year||English Title||Original Title||Romanization||Role||Network|
|2017||The Liar and His Lover||그녀는 거짓말을 너무 사랑해||Geunyeoneun Geojitmaleul Neomoo Saranghae||Kang In-woo||tvN|
|2016||Jackpot||대박||Daebak||King Sukjong of Joseon||SBS|
|2014||Pride and Prejudice||오만과 편견||Omangwa Pyeongyeon||Moon Hee-man||MBC|
|2013||The Blade and Petal||칼과 꽃||Kalgwa Kkot||Yeon Gaesomun||KBS2|
|2012||Do You Know Taekwondo? (Drama Special)||태권, 도를 아십니까?||Taekwon, Doreul Ahshibnikka?||Do-hyeon's father||KBS2|
|Faith||신의||Shin-eui||Moon Chi-hoo (cameo)||SBS|
|Happy Ending||해피엔딩||Kim Doo-soo||jTBC|
|2011||Warrior Baek Dong-soo||무사 백동수||Musa Baek Dong-soo||Chun||SBS|
|2010||Road No. 1||로드 넘버원||Rodeu Neombeowon||Yoon Sam-soo||MBC|
|2009||Father's House||아버지의 집||Ahbeojieui Jip||Kang Man-ho||SBS|
|2007||The Legend||태왕사신기||Taewang sasingi||Daejangro||MBC|
|2004||Han River Ballad||한강수타령||Han-kang-soo Ta-ryeong||Shin Ryul||MBC|
|2003||South of the Sun||태양의 남쪽||Tae-yang-ui Nam-jjok||Kang Sung-jae||SBS|
|2000||Legends of Love||사랑의 전설||Min-suk||SBS|
|1998||White Nights 3.98||백야 3.98||Baekya 3.98||Kwon Taek-hyeong||SBS|
|1993||Walking Up to Heaven||걸어서 하늘까지||물새 Jung-ho||MBC|
|My Mother's Sea||엄마의 바다||Eommaui Bada||Lee Dong-jae||MBC|
|1991||What is Love||사랑이 뭐길래||Sa-rang-yi Mwo-gil-rae||Lee Dae-pal||MBC|
|무동이네 집||Lee Soo-hyun||MBC|
|Humble Men||고개숙인 남자||In-soo||MBC|
|Moon (Best Theater)||달||Dal||Lee Dae-pal||MBC|
- *Note; the whole list is referenced.
- 2014 MBC Drama Awards: Golden Acting Award, Actor (Pride and Prejudice)
- 2007 MBC Drama Awards: Golden Acting Award, Actor in a Historical Drama (The Legend)
- 2004 MBC Drama Awards: Top Excellence Award, Actor (Han River Ballad)
- 2001 37th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Film Actor (Libera Me)
- 2000 SBS Drama Awards: Big Star Award (Legends of Love)
- 2000 37th Grand Bell Awards: Best Actor (Phantom: the Submarine)
- 1996 19th Golden Cinematography Awards: Most Popular Actor
- 1996 34th Grand Bell Awards: Best Actor (Terrorist)
- 1995 SBS Drama Awards: Grand Prize/Daesang (Sandglass)
- 1995 22nd Korea Broadcasting Awards: Best TV Actor (Sandglass)
- 1995 16th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Actor, Popular Star Award (Terrorist)
- 1995 31st Baeksang Arts Awards: Best TV Actor (Sandglass)
- 1993 14th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popular Star Award
- 1993 31st Grand Bell Awards: Most Popular Actor
- 1993 29th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best TV Actor (Walking Up to Heaven)
- 1992 28th Baeksang Arts Awards: Most Popular TV Actor (What Is Love)
- 1992 13th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popular Star Award
- 1991 12th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popular Star Award
- 1990 11th Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Supporting Actor (North Korean Partisan in South Korea)
- 1989 25th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best New Film Actor (Last Dance with Her)
- 1987 11th Golden Cinematography Awards: Best New Actor (Long Journey & Tunnel)
- Lee, Geun-tae (이근태) 무성 영화 배우 가수 강홍식 (Korean) Gayo 114
- 최민수 Daum Movie
- 최민수 [Choi Min-soo] (in Korean). Korean Movie Database (KMDb). Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- 스크린을 누비던 원로 영화 배우 최무룡 세상 떠나던 날 (quote) 임종의 자리에 함께 있었던 사람은 미망인 차금자씨(55)와 자녀인 최정우·진경씨였다고....상주는 7명이었다. 최민수, 최정우, 최현숙, 최예숙, 최진경, 박종화, 최영숙(밍크).
- Oh, Young-jin (12 October 2009). "Kang Makes Smooth Transition". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Oh, Jean (2 February 2009). "Choi Min-soo`s wife to host new show". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Kim, Rahn (25 April 2008). "Assault Allegations Cloud Actor Chois Hollywood Dream". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- Oh, Jean (25 December 2009). "Choi Min-soo returns to small screen". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "Cast and Crew DB >Choi Min-soo >Filmographies". Korean Movie Database (KMDb). Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- 신화 - 진시황릉의 비밀 (2005) KMDb
- 서울 (2001) KMDb