Chokwe Antar Lumumba
|53rd Mayor of Jackson|
|Assumed office |
July 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Tony Yarber|
Chokwe Antar Lumumba
March 29, 1983
|Relatives||Chokwe Lumumba (father)|
|Education||Tuskegee University (BA)|
Texas Southern University (JD)
While running for mayor in 2017, Lumumba soundly won the Democratic nomination, defeating incumbent mayor Tony Yarber and John Horhn, a state senator. As Jackson is strongly Democratic, Lumumba also won the general election. He ran on a progressive platform promising to make Jackson "the most radical city on the planet."
Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi
In the summer of 2018, Lumumba attended Michael Bloomberg's "Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative." The City of Jackson noted that the Initiative was created by Bloomberg to train leaders to "manage the complexities of running a city, and to have opportunities to learn from one another." Four months later, in November 2018, Bloomberg awarded the City of Jackson $1 million to create art highlighting the Bloomberg food insecurity crisis in Jackson.
Jackson Zoo crisis
In April 2018, when the Jackson Zoo announced plans to consider moving from its current West Jackson location, Lumumba joined Working Together Jackson, the Zoo Area Progressive Partnership, Rosemont Missionary Baptist Church and other community groups, in an effort to prevent the zoo from moving. He described the proposed plan as disingenuous and disrespectful. A city investigation discovered that the Jackson Zoological Society had mismanaged funds and failed to pay $6 million in water bills.
- "Office of the Mayor". Jackson, MS. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
- Williams, Angela (July 3, 2017). "Chokwe Antar Lumumba sworn in as Jackson mayor". WAPT. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- "Some Mayors Defeated in Mississippi Municipal Primaries". US News and World Report. The Associated Press. May 3, 2017. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Nichols, John (May 3, 2017). "Jackson, Mississippi, Just Nominated Radical Activist Chokwe Antar Lumumba to Be the Next Mayor". The Nation. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Marans, Daniel (May 3, 2017). "Progressive Attorney Unseats Business-Friendly Mississippi Mayor". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Vicory, Justin (March 2, 2018). "Is it a boy or girl? Jackson mayor's family grows by one Wednesday". The Clarion Ledger. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- "Mayor Lumumba in New York City for Leadership Training". Jackson Free Press. July 24, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative Announces Second Class of Mayors Go Back to School". July 25, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Jackson awarded $1 million from Michael Bloomberg for art project to spotlight food insecurity". November 29, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Mayor Calls Zoo's Move 'Disingenuous,' 'Disrespectful' to West Jackson". April 13, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Vicory, Justin. "Settlement reached: Jackson gets zoo animals, drops $6M lawsuit". The Clarion-Ledger.
- "Jackson Zoo to temporarily close for renovations". September 27, 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- Vicory, Justin. "'Hopeful and excited': Jackson Zoo to reopen after 11-month shutdown". The Clarion-Ledger.
| Mayor of Jackson