Chomedey is a district in the southwest of the city of Laval and was a separate municipality until the municipal mergers on August 6, 1965. Named after Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve, part of the neighbourhood had previously been known as L'Abord à Plouffe, and was once part of the seigneurie system. In 1961 L'Abord-à-Plouffe amalgamated with Renaud and Saint-Martin, creating Chomedey. Chomedey's city hall became the city hall for all of Laval.
Chomedey is bordered on the south by the Rivière des Prairies, on the east by Laval-des-Rapides, Duvernay and Vimont, on the north by Sainte-Rose, on the north-west by Fabreville and on the west by Sainte-Dorothée.
Since the 1960s, Chomedey's demographic composition has been different than Laval's other neighborhoods. Mirroring the geographic linguistic divisions in Montreal, there are more English-speakers in the west of Ile Jesus than in the east, and Chomedey has been home to the city's Anglophone and allophone minorities, notably a large community of Greeks.
|Both English and French||840||0.93%|
|English and a non-Official language||1,460||1.62%|
|French and a non-Official language||2,070||2.29%|
|English, French and a non-Official language||615||0.68%|
The main thoroughfares are Curé-Labelle Blvd, Chomedey Blvd, Saint-Martin Blvd, Souvenir Rd, Notre-Dame Blvd, Samson Blvd, 100th Ave, Daniel-Johnson Blvd, Le Carrefour Blvd, Le Corbusier Blvd, Armand-Frappier Blvd, Cartier Blvd, Lévesque Blvd, Promenade Des Îles, Cléroux Blvd, Jean-Béraud Ave, Pierre-Péladeau Ave, Bois-de-Boulogne Ave, Avenir Blvd, Industriel Blvd, McNamara St, Terry-Fox Ave, Louis-Payette Ave and Perron Blvd.
Because of the rapid densification of this neighborhood and the development of the last fields and forested areas, there are more and more cars on the road. Since 2000, it is not uncommon to find yourself in a traffic jam on many of main thoroughfares. Curé-Labelle Blvd, Chomedey Blvd, Saint-Martin Blvd, Notre-Dame Blvd and Le Corbusier Blvd are often subject to traffic jams, but the creation of reserved bus lanes, an expanded bike path network as well as the extension of the Metro into Laval are all helping Chomedians to favor more sustainable transit alternatives.
Traffic is a common problem, with many residents travelling to Montreal combined with Laurentians-Montreal commuter and cottage traffic.
Commission scolaire de Laval operates French-language public schools.
- École secondaire Alphonse-Desjardins
- École secondaire Saint-Martin
- École secondaire Saint-Maxime
- École d’éducation internationale de Laval
- École primaire Coursol
- École primaire L’Harmonie
- École primaire Le Tandem
- École primaire Les Quatre-Vents
- École primaire Saint-Norbert
- École primaire Saint-Paul
- École primaire Simon-Vanier
Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board operates English-language public schools. Elementary schools serving sections of Chomedey include:
- Crestview Elementary School
- Hillcrest Academy
- John F. Kennedy Elementary School
- Souvenir Elementary School - It was established as a high school in 1963 but became an elementary school in 1965.
All sections of Laval are zoned to Laval Junior Academy and Laval Senior Academy
The postal codes for this area begin with H7S, H7T, H7V, H7N and H7W. Land-based telephone numbers are assigned the 450 area code.
- Interactive map of Laval from the official website Shows both the borders and names of the 14 former municipalities (purple) and the borders only of the current 6 sectors (maroon), tick off both boxes beside "Limite administrative".
- "2006 Census: Data Products". Statistics Canada.
- "Coursol." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "L’Harmonie." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Le Tandem (édifices 1 et 2)." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Les Quatre-Vents." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Saint-Norbert." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Saint-Paul." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Simon-Vanier." Commission scolaire de Laval. Retrieved on September 24, 2017.
- "Crestview Elementary School." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017. "750 Devonshire Chomedey, Laval, QC H7W 4C7" See also: "CRESTVIEW ELEMENTARY ZONE" and the text description of the boundary.
- "Hillcrest Academy." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017. "265 Bladen Avenue, Chomedey, Laval, QC H7W 4J8" HILLCREST ELEMENTARY ZONE" and the text description of the zone
- "John F. Kennedy Elementary School ." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017. "500 Cardinal Chomedey, Laval, QC H7V 1T5" See also: "JOHN F. KENNEDY ELEMENTARY ZONE."
- "About Us." Souvenir Elementary School. Retrieved on September 17, 2017. "It is located 20 km north of Montreal close to Autoroute 13 in the Chomedey area of Laval." - This page has a text description of the attendance boundary. See also: "SOUVENIR ELEMENTARY ZONE"
- Statistics of the former municipality of Chomedey