The border between Chong-Alay district and Alay district
|• Total||4,857 km2 (1,875 sq mi)|
|• Density||5.2/km2 (13/sq mi)|
|Time zone||GMT +5 (UTC+5)|
Chong-Alay District (big Alay) (Kyrgyz: Чоң Алай району; Russian: Чон-Алайский район) is a raion (district) of Osh Region in far south-western Kyrgyzstan. The capital lies at Daroot-Korgon. Its area is 4,857 square kilometres (1,875 sq mi), and its resident population was 25,039 in 2009. The Chong-Alay District include 3 rural communities (ayıl ökmötü): Chong-Alay, Kashka-Suu, and Jekendi.
Chong-Alay District occupies the western part of Alay Valley. The northern boundary of the district is located at Alay Mountains, and southern - at Trans-Alay Range. The valley is inclined from east to west, with the lowest point at 1560 meters above sea level.
Climate is sharply continental with cold winters. Annual precipitation is 500–650 mm. Average temperature in July is +19-22C, and December -10-15C.
The hydrology is dominated by the river Kyzyl-Suu (flowing towards the west) and its tributaries.
As of 2009, Chong-Alay District comprised 21 villages. All people live in rural areas.
|Historical populations in Chong-Alay District|
|Note: enumerated de facto population; Source:|
According to the 2009 Census, the ethnic composition of the Chong-Alay District (de jure population) was:
|Ethnic group||Population||Proportion of Chong-Alay District population|
The populated places in the Chong-Alay District are:
- Jekendi aiyl okmotu (Karamyk, Jekendi, Kara-Teyit, Shibee, and Chuluk)
- Kashka-Suu aiyl okmotu (Kashka-Suu, Achyk-Suu, Kabyk, Kara-Kabak, and Burgan-Suu)
- Chong-Alay aiyl okmotu (Daroot-Korgon, Jash-Bashy, Jashtilek, Jaman-Jar, Kochkorchu, Kulchu, Kyzyl-Tuu, Sary-Bulak, Chak, Kyzyl-Eshme, and Kara-Shybak)
- 2009 population census of the Kyrgyz Republic: Osh Region at the Wayback Machine (archived 10 August 2011)
- "Administrative sub-division of Kyrgyzstan (map)". Enrin.grida.no. Archived from the original on 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "List of rural communities of Kyrgyzstan". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Ошская область:Энциклопедия [Encyclopedia of Osh Oblast] (in Russian). Bishkek: Chief Editorial Board of Kyrgyz Soviet Encyclopedia. 1987. p. 446.
- "State Administration of Osh Oblast (in Russian)". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- List of Rural Communities of Kyrgyzstan