|Motto||耐劳苦, 尚俭朴, 勤学业, 爱国家|
Motto in English
|Endure Toil, Cherish Thrift, Work Hard and Love the Country|
|President||Dr. Zhang, Zongyi|
|Campus||Three campuses (A, B, C) downtown, one campus (D) in suburbs, 178 hectares|
|Affiliations||Excellence League, Double First Class University, 211 Project, 985 Project|
Chongqing University (simplified Chinese: 重庆大学; traditional Chinese: 重慶大學; pinyin: Chóngqìng Dàxué, also abbreviated as CQU) is a key national university located in Chongqing, China, and a member of the "Excellence League". Chongqing University is a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University, and also one of the "Project 211 and Project 985” universities with full support in the construction and development from the central government and the Chongqing Municipal Government. Among its various departments, Chongqing University is especially highly ranked in the Built Environment, Engineering, Technology, and Business disciplines.
Chongqing University was founded in 1929，some professors who born in Chongqing come from Chengdu University want to found a new University in Chongqing.Then they ask General Liu Xiang for help,and founded the Chongqing University Preparatory Committee.
12th October, the first term of Chongqing University begin,and the Chongqing University Preparatory Committee publish the <Chongqing University Founding Declaration>.
（Excerpts in Chinese）人类之文野，国家之理乱，悉以人才为其主要之因。必人才日出，然后事业日新，然后生机永畅。世界所以进化无疆，国家所以长存不敝，胥赖于此。
（ Liberal Translation）Human beings are civilized or barbaric, and the country is powerful or chaotic must depend on the talents. There are more talents, the development is more fast , Then we will entry a new era of sustainable development. For this reason, the world continues to progress and the country continues to be powerful.
During the World War II, Chongqing is the only one industrial city of ROC which do not seized by Japan.
in 1937，Capital Nanjing was seized. the Chinese government claimed that all agencies move to Chongqing and continue resisting aggression. According to this, the National Central University followed the steps to Chongqing . Then Chongqing University gave more than 200mu ground to National Central University and cooperation in education.During the CQU-NCU cooperation period There are many famous professors teach in CQU-NCU like Li Siguang, Xu Beihong， Wu Guanzhong, Ma Yinchu,He Lu，Lu Zuofu.
in 1942, became a national comprehensive university consisting of six colleges in liberal arts, science, engineering, law, and medicine .
In 1952, the nationwide restructuring of higher education turned Chongqing University into an engineering-orientated multi-disciplinary university under the State Ministry of Education. In 1960, Chongqing University was designated as one of the first key national universities. Since the implementation of reform and opening-up policy in China, Chongqing University has stressed the development of disciplines like humanities, business management, art, sports education, which has further sped up the process of developing itself into a comprehensive institution of higher learning.
Chongqing University has 28 schools plus the graduate school, the City College of Science and Technology, the College of Continuing Education, and the College of Networking Education. The University now has a total enrollment of 50,000 students, of which 20,000 are master's and doctoral students, and 30,000 undergraduate students. The university owns 24 mobile workstations for postdoctoral study, 133 doctoral programs, 256 master programs, 18 professional master's degree programs, namely MBA, EMBA,MPA, master of engineering, and 89 bachelor's degree programs in 8 academic categories of science,engineering, liberal arts, conomics, management, law, agriculture and education.
Currently, the university has a total number of 5,400 faculty and staff members, among which about 2700 are full-time teachers, 3 members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and 12 contracted members from other institutions, 6 members of the Subject Appraisal Team of the Degree Committee under the State Council, 4 chief scientists of the National 973 Project,4 the state-level middle-aged or young experts with distinguished contribution, 500 doctorate supervisors, 1,700 full professors and associate professors. Chongqing University covers a total area of 5,500 mu (about 178 hectares), with 1.60 million square meters of construction space. In 2001, Chongqing University Technology Park came into being,as one of the 22 state-level university technology parks in China.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Liberal Arts College
- School of Economics and Business Administration
- School of Public Affairs
- School of Foreign Language
- School of Arts
- School of Journalism and Communication
- Law School
- Meishi Film Academy
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- School of Bioengineering
- School of Physics
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Physical Education
- School of Life Sciences
- Faculty of the Built Environment
- School of Architecture and Urban Planning
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Urban Construction and Environmental Engineering
- School of Construction Management and Real Estate
- Faculty of Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Electrical Engineering
- School of Power Engineering
- School of Material Science and Engineering
- School of Resources and Environmental Science
- School of Aerospace Engineering
- Chongqing University and University of Cincinnati Joint Cooperative Institute(JCI)
- Faculty of Information Science and Technology
- School of Computer Science
- School of Automation
- School of Communication Engineering
- School of Opto-Electronic Engineering
- School of Software Engineering
- International School (College of International Education)
- City College of Science and Technology
- College of Continuing Education
- College of Networking Education
Teaching and research
Chongqing University is in possession of 17 state key subjects and 14 key subjects under the state "211 Project", 38 provincial or ministerial key subjects. The university sets up 14 specially appointed professor posts under the "Yangtze River Scholar Award Program". It has established 3 national teaching bases for fundamental courses and a national quality education base for college students, 9 national key labs and ministerial key labs, 71 provincial key labs, and 130 labs of different specialties. Moreover, Chongqing University has constructed the distance education center, multi-media classrooms of large scale and interactive audio-visual classrooms, labs or training centers in cooperation with world-famous enterprises such as Siemens, Microsoft, IBM, Rockwell, Omron, etc. The university has a national key publishing house, a national first-class architectural designing institute, and a first-class institute for planning and design.
In recent years, the university has undertaken over 100 national key scientific projects of different types, and won 13 National Awards for Invention, 40 Awards for Scientific and Technological Advancement, 4 Awards for Natural Science, 968 ministerial and provincial awards, 283 Awards for Teaching Achievement.
Top ranked disciplines in China
|5||Instrumentation Science and Technology|
|6||Bio Medical Engineering|
|11||Safety Science and Engineering|
|13||Theater and Film Art|
|19||Management Science and Engineering|
|20||Computer Science and Technology|
The university library is well equipped with modern facilities of large scale, with a collection of 3.90 million volumes, 6000 kinds of Chinese and foreign periodicals, and 2.0 million volumes of E-books. In addition to 5 electronic reading rooms with 65000 kinds of e-books and journals, the China Education Research Network (CERNET) Chongqing Central Node is set up in the library.
- State Key Laboratories(Engineering Centers)
- Mechanical Transmission
- Power Transmission & Distribution Equipment and Systems Safety, and New Technology
- Tech R&D Center for Magnesium Alloy Engineering
- New Micro-Nano Devices and System Technology
- International R&D Center for Micro-Nano System and New Materials Technology
- Key Laboratories of the Ministry of Education of China
- Opto-electronic Technology and Systems
- China Southwest Resource Exploitation and Environmental Disaster Control Engineering
- The Three Gorges Reservoir Region's Eco-Environment
- Center for Supervising, Inspecting and Testing Transgenic Biological Product Ingredients
- Upland Urban Construction and New Technology(under construction)
- Center for Industrial CT Non-destructive testing Engineering(under construction)
- Discipline Innovation Bases for Higher
- Education("111 Project")
- Innovative Base of Biological Mechanics and Tissue-Repair Engineering
- Innovative Base of Power Transforming and Transmission Equipments and System Safety Technology
- Provincial Key Laboratories
- Manufacturing System Engineering
- High Voltage Technology and System Information Monitoring
- Biomedical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- New Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Exploitation of Mineral Resources and Environmental Damages and Engineering Disasters in the Three Gorges Reservoir Region
- Automation Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Rock and Soil Engineering
- Material Physics Building Environment and Installation Engineering
- Carrier Test and Monitoring and Remote Sensing Information Transmission Technology
- New Building Materials and Engineering
- Pollution Prevention and Waste Recycling Architectural Technology
- Municipal and Environment Engineering
Chongqing University covers a total area of over 3.65 square kilometres, consisting of four campuses. With green mountains surrounded and the Jialing River flowing by, the four campuses are set amidst delightful sceneries and awarded the title of “Garden University” by Chongqing Municipality.
- President Office
- Department of Human Resource
- Dean's Office
- Admission Office
- Academic Affairs Office
- Office of International Cooperation and Exchanges
- Graduate Affairs Office
- Student Affairs Office
- Finance Department
- Auditing Office
- News Administration Office
- Security and Safeguard Department
- Teachers' Union
- Retired Personnel Affairs Office
- Assets Administration Office
- Construction and Campus Planning Office
- Logistic Administration Office
- University Enterprise Administration Office
Outreach and cooperation
Chongqing University attaches great importance to international academic exchange and cooperation.
It has established inter-university exchange links with over 100 institutions of higher education in 20 countries such as the USA, England, France, Germany, Italy, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Japan, South Korea, Russia, etc.
The following are notable:
- Yang Mingzhao (poet)
- Yan Su (lyricist)
- Qian Rongkun (economist)
- Fang Paidi (actor/film director)
- Xu Xiangu (engineering professor)
- Ren Zhengfei (founder and President of Huawei)
- Li Xiaohong, CAE member, president of Wuhan University
- "校训". Chongqing University. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "About the university". Chongqing University. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
-  Archived January 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Chongqing University official website (in English)