|Alma mater||Emory University (PhD)|
|Awards||National Research Service Award|
|Institutions||Howard Hughes Medical Institute|
Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
|Thesis||Molecular and functional characterization of mini-me, a dominant modifier of hedgehog in Drosophila eye development (2005)|
|Doctoral advisor||Kevin Moses|
Chonnettia Jones is an American geneticist and developmental biologist. She is vice president of research at the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research. She was previously the director of insight and analysis at Wellcome Trust.
Education and career
Jones is a geneticist and developmental biologist. She was a Ruth L. Kirschstein research fellow at Emory University where she researched developmental neurobiology while completing a Ph.D. in biochemistry, cell and developmental biology. Jones' dissertation 2005 was titled Molecular and functional characterization of mini-me, a dominant modifier of hedgehog in Drosophila eye development. Her doctoral advisor was Kevin Moses.
Jones was a professor at American universities before managing the Howard Hughes Medical Institute scientific research program at the Janelia Research Campus. She joined Wellcome Trust in 2012 to evaluate the impact of their funded grants. In January 2016, Jones became the director of insight and analysis at Wellcome. In January 2020, Jones was announced as the vice president of research at the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research in British Columbia effective on April 14, 2020.
- Jones, Chonnettia; Chen, Ping (February 2007). "Planar cell polarity signaling in vertebrates". BioEssays. 29 (2): 120–132. doi:10.1002/bies.20526. PMC 4158832. PMID 17226800.
- Qian, Dong; Jones, Chonnettia; Rzadzinska, Agnieszka; Mark, Sharayne; Zhang, Xiaohui; Steel, Karen P.; Dai, Xing; Chen, Ping (June 2007). "Wnt5a functions in planar cell polarity regulation in mice". Developmental Biology. 306 (1): 121–133. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2007.03.011. PMC 1978180. PMID 17433286.
- Chen, Ping; Yoder, Bradley K.; Petit, Christine; Boglarka Banizs; Qian, Dong; Foucher, Isabelle; Roper, Venus C.; Jones, Chonnettia (January 2008). "Ciliary proteins link basal body polarization to planar cell polarity regulation". Nature Genetics. 40 (1): 69–77. doi:10.1038/ng.2007.54. ISSN 1546-1718. PMID 18066062.
- "Chonnettia Jones – 10th World Conference of Science Journalists, San Francisco 2017". wcsj2017.org. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Executive Leadership Team | Wellcome". wellcome.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Dr. Chonnettia Jones joins MSFHR as Vice President, Research". Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research. 2020-01-28. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- Jones, Chonnettia (2005). "Molecular and functional characterization of mini-me, a dominant modifier of hedgehog in Drosophila eye development". Emory University. Retrieved 2020-01-29 – via ProQuest Dissertations Publishing.