Choong Shiau Yoon
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018)
Steven Choong Shiau Yoon
|Division chair of the |
People's Justice Party
|Preceded by||Position reestablished|
|Succeeded by||Willham Siau|
|Preceded by||Selva Kumaran|
|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|Born||7 December 1957|
Beruas, Perak, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||People's Justice Party (PKR) |
|Perikatan Nasional (PN) |
(allied) (since 2021)
Pakatan Harapan (PH)
Pakatan Rakyat (PR)
|Alma mater||Brunel University London|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Zhōng Shǎoyún|
|Choong Shiau Yoon on Facebook|
Choong Shiau Yoon on Parliament of Malaysia
Steven Choong Shiau Yoon (simplified Chinese: 锺少云; traditional Chinese: 鍾少雲; born 7 December 1957) is a Malaysian politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Tebrau since May 2018. Currently he is an independent MP supporting the ruling Perikatan Nasional (PN) coalition. Prior to that he was a member of the People's Justice Party (PKR), a component party of the Pakatan Harapan (PH) opposition coalition.
Early life and education
Choong has a vast experience as an accountant, auditor, tax agent and business consultant career. He is a Partner at CSY & Associates PLT beside Managing Director and CEO at CSY Tax Services Sdn. Bhd. He also serves as a Senior Independent Non-Executive Director on the board of Country View Bhd since 27 March 2002. He is also the Chairman for Malaysian Institute of Accountants, Chartered Member at Institute of Internal Auditors Malaysia and Member of Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
Choong chose to participate in politics by joining People's Justice Party (PKR) at the age of 50 in 2007. He has been the Division Chairman of both Tebrau and Ayer Hitam and Deputy Secretary-General of PKR. He made his debut contesting the Tebrau parliamentary seat in the 2013 elections but had lost by 1,767 votes to the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) candidate. In the 2018 elections, he contested Tebrau under the People's Justice Party banner again in a three-cornered fight and this time won by defeating candidates from the MCA and the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS).
|2013||Choong Shiau Yoon (PKR)||38,218||48.87%||Khoo Soo Seang (MCA)||39,985||51.13%||79,835||1,767||88.23%|
|2018||Choong Shiau Yoon (PKR)||64,535||62.09%||Hou Kok Chung (MCA)||27,310||26.27%||105,420||37,225||85.68%|
|Abdullah Husin (PAS)||12,098||11.64%|
- "争取多10%马来票添胜算．钟少云：票票不能少" (in Chinese). Sin Chew Daily. 4 May 2018.
- "Tebrau MP says PM understands his need to solve issues faced by the people". The Star Online. 28 February 2021. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- "Board of Directors: Profile of Directors: Choong Shiau Yoon". Country View Bhd. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
- "Shiau Yoon Choong – Chartered Member at Institute of Internal Auditors Malaysia". Relationship Science. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
- "Choong Shiau Yoon @ Steven Choong". PRU Di Sinar. Sinar Harian. Retrieved 7 March 2021.
- "锺少云Steven Choong Shiau Yoon". www.enanyang.my (in Chinese). e南洋商报Nanyang Siang Pau. Archived from the original on 13 August 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Muhyiddin confirms won over PKR's Julau, Tebrau MPs". Malay Mail. 28 February 2021. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2018. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE – 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.