Cover photo by Barbara Starkey
|Studio album by Ringo Starr|
|Released||7 June 2005 (US)
25 July 2005 (UK)
|Recorded||Mid 2004–early 2005|
|Producer||Ringo Starr, Mark Hudson|
|Ringo Starr chronology|
|Singles from Choose Love|
Background and recording
Recorded throughout 2004 into 2005, using the same team that created Vertical Man (1998) and Ringo Rama (2003), Starr produced the set with longtime musical partner Mark Hudson and performed it with their studio team. The title track, Choose Love has a Beatles-like Day Tripper guitar riff and mentions the Beatles song "The Long and Winding Road". As ever, a Starr album would be lacking if it did not include some celebrity guests and Choose Love does not deviate from the formula; it features Billy Preston and Chrissie Hynde as its most notable guests.
Choose Love was released on 7 June 2005 in the US,[nb 1] and on 25 July in the UK. There was an edition of the album that was a dual disc (CD on side, DVD on the other), with the DVD component featuring bonus features on the making of the album.[nb 2]
|The Essential Rock Discography||5/10|
|The Music Box|||
Choose Love failed to chart in the UK and even in the US, where both Vertical Man and Ringo Rama had seen a measure of commercial success. The album received strong reviews upon its release and preceded another promotional tour with Starr and his studio band, called "The Roundheads".
- "Fading In Fading Out" (Richard Starkey, Mark Hudson, Gary Burr) – 3:55
- "Give Me Back the Beat" – 3:53
- "Oh My Lord" – 5:32
- "Hard to Be True" (Starkey, Hudson, Burr) – 3:27
- "Some People" – 3:17
- "Wrong All the Time" (Starkey, Hudson, Burr) – 3:30
- "Don't Hang Up" (Starkey, Hudson, Burr) – 3:27
- features Chrissie Hynde on co-lead vocals
- "Choose Love" (Starkey, Hudson, Burr) – 3:07
- "Me and You" (Starkey, Hudson, Steve Dudas) – 2:15
- "Satisfied" (Starkey, Hudson, Gary Nicholson) – 3:19
- "The Turnaround" – 3:54
- "Free Drinks" – 4:45
- includes a brief untitled hidden musical piece following the track's end
Personnel per booklet.
- US Koch KOC-CD-550
- US Koch KOC-CD-9919
- Jackson, Andrew Grant (2012). Still the Greatest: The Essential Songs of the Beatles' Solo Careers. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 292. ISBN 9780810882232.
- Choose Love at AllMusic
- "Ringo Starr – Choose Love". entertainment.ie. 28 July 2005. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- Strong, Martin C. (2006). The Essential Rock Discography. Edinburgh, UK: Canongate. p. 1028. ISBN 978-184195-827-9.
- Metzger, John. "Ringo Starr – Choose Love (Album Review)". Musicbox-online.com.
- Choose Love (Booklet). Ringo Starr. Koch, Koch Entertainment LP. 2005. KOC-CD-9919, KOC-CD-9950.