Cover photo by Barbara Starkey
|Studio album by Ringo Starr|
7 June 2005 (US)|
25 July 2005 (UK)
|Recorded||Mid 2004–early 2005|
|Producer||Ringo Starr, Mark Hudson|
|Ringo Starr chronology|
|Singles from Choose Love|
Choose Love is the 14th studio album by Ringo Starr, released in 2005.
Background and recording
Recorded throughout 2004 into 2005, using the same team that created Vertical Man (1998) and Ringo Rama (2003), Starr produced the set with longtime musical partner Mark Hudson and performed it with their studio team. The title track, Choose Love has a Beatles-like Day Tripper guitar riff with a coda similar to The Word and mentions the Beatles songs "The Long and Winding Road", Tomorrow Never Knows, and What Goes On. As ever, a Starr album would be lacking if it did not include some celebrity guests and Choose Love does not deviate from the formula; it features Billy Preston and Chrissie Hynde as its most notable guests.
Choose Love was released on 7 June 2005 in the US,[nb 1] and on 25 July in the UK. There was an edition of the album that was a dual disc (CD on side, DVD on the other), with the DVD component featuring bonus features on the making of the album.[nb 2]
|The Essential Rock Discography||5/10|
|The Music Box|||
Choose Love failed to chart in the UK and even in the US, where both Vertical Man and Ringo Rama had seen a measure of commercial success. The album received strong reviews upon its release and preceded another promotional tour with Starr and his studio band, called "The Roundheads".
|1.||"Fading In Fading Out"||3:55|
|2.||"Give Me Back the Beat"||3:53|
|3.||"Oh My Lord"||5:32|
|4.||"Hard to Be True"||3:27|
|6.||"Wrong All the Time"||3:30|
|7.||"Don't Hang Up" (featuring Chrissie Hynde)||3:27|
|9.||"Me and You"||2:15|
Personnel per booklet.
- US Koch KOC-CD-550
- US Koch KOC-CD-9919
- Jackson, Andrew Grant (2012). Still the Greatest: The Essential Songs of the Beatles' Solo Careers. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 292. ISBN 978-0-8108-8223-2.
- Choose Love at AllMusic
- "Ringo Starr – Choose Love". entertainment.ie. 28 July 2005. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- Strong, Martin C. (2006). The Essential Rock Discography. Edinburgh, UK: Canongate. p. 1028. ISBN 978-1-84195-827-9.
- Metzger, John. "Ringo Starr – Choose Love (Album Review)". Musicbox-online.com.
- "New CD Releases". Star-News. 9 June 2005. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- Choose Love (Booklet). Ringo Starr. Koch, Koch Entertainment LP. 2005. KOC-CD-9919, KOC-CD-9950.