Chop My Money
|"Chop My Money"|
|Single by P-Square featuring Akon and May D|
|from the album The Invasion|
|Released||23 February 2012|
|P-Square singles chronology|
"Chop My Money" is a song by Nigerian R&B duo P-Square, released as the second single from their fifth studio album The Invasion (2011). It features vocals from Akon and May D. Upon its release, the song was met with positive reviews. The music video was directed by Jude Engees Okoye and Ben Marc. It was released on February 23, 2012 and has since eclipsed the 16 million views mark on YouTube. P-Square recorded the song shortly after signing a partnership deal with Akon's Konvict Muzik.
Background and recording
"Chop My Money" loosely means "Spend My Money". During an interview with Tim Westwood in 2012, the duo were asked about their collaboration with Akon and how it came about. They said they've known Akon for several years and their collaboration with him was an easy transition.
On August 26, 2012, P-Square headlined the "Love AfroBeats Festival 2012". The concert took place in London and featured performances from the duo, Wande Coal, E.L, Fuse ODG, Ezi and DL. The duo performed "Chop My Money" to a sold out crowd at the HMV Apollo.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2012||The Headies||Best Pop Single||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
Track listing and covers
- Digital download
- "Chop My Money" (P-Square, Akon and May D) – 4:32
- "Chop My Money" (cover by Henhouse Prowlers, a Chicago bluegrass band)
- "The 10 Hottest Producers in Nigeria". NotjustOk. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "VIDEO: P-Square – Chop My Money ft AKON & May D". Notjustok. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Chop My Money Ft Akon, May D". Iroking. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- P-Square (2012). Westwood – P-Square 'Chop my money' (youtube). London: YouTube. Event occurs at 5:41.
- "P-Square 'Love AfroBeats Festival 2012' with Wande Coal, May D". Nigerianmusicnetwork. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Alonge, Osagie (21 October 2012). "Psquare, Wizkid, Vector emerge top winners at The Headies 2012". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Boyd, Clark (27 August 2012). "How a Chicago bluegrass band rocked Nigeria's music scene". PRI. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- News item and video feat. Peter Okoye of P-Square re: cover of "Chop My Money" by a Chicago bluegrass band