|Traded as||TSX: CHR|
Chorus Aviation is a Canadian holding company which has controlled regional and charter airline operator Jazz Aviation LP from 31 December 2010. These services normally operate under the brand names Air Canada Express and Jazz Charters. Ownership was previously held by an income fund called "Jazz Air Income Fund", but a restructuring was announced in October 2010. This is motivated by a change in Canadian tax laws which removes tax advantages for income funds; other income funds are being restructured in a similar way.
In February 2011, Chorus reported that revenues had improved and that it had invested in the Uruguayan airline Pluna. After excessive losses, Pluna was shut down by the Uruguayan government on 5 July 2012, and Pluna's entire fleet was auctioned off on 1 October 2012.
On January 4, 2017, Chorus Aviation launched Chorus Aviation Capital (CAC) with the objective of developing Chorus’ aircraft leasing activity into a global business with a diverse customer base and fleet of regional jet and turbo-prop aircraft in the 70 to 135-seat range. Chorus Aviation Capital builds diversified portfolios of regional aircraft manufactured by ATR, Bombardier and Embraer that will be leased to regional aircraft operators around the world.
On February 8, 2019, Chorus Aviation agreed to purchase nine regional jets from Bombardier in a deal valued at US$437 million. The aircraft will be operated by Chorus subsidiary, Jazz Aviation, with delivery expected in 2020.
- "Jazz Air plans to convert into holding corporation - thestar.com". The Star. Toronto. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "CBC News - Nova Scotia - Jazz Air plans conversion to corporation". 2010-10-08. Archived from the original on 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Jazz Air will be Chorus Aviation Inc. after conversion". Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "UPDATE 1-Jazz Air to keep dividend payout in fund conversion". Reuters. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Canadian regional Jazz to move to corporate structure". ATW Online. 2010-10-12. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Chorus Aviation (formerly Jazz Air Income Fund) net jumps 35.8%". Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Voyageur Airways to be sold for $80 million". North Bay Nugget. March 12, 2015.
- "Chorus signs firm agreement for nine Bombardier CRJ900". hmgaerospace. February 8, 2019.