This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chow Kit is a sub-district in central Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It is located around Jalan Chow Kit (Chow Kit Road) and is enclosed by the parallel streets of Jalan Raja Laut and Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.It is named after Loke Chow Kit (陸秋傑) a well-known miner municipal councilor, public official, and also the first local owner of a department store - Chow Kit & Co – which was the largest in KL at the time. Today the area features a large Indonesian (Javanese) community, and more recently, a small African community. There is a night market also known as Bundle Chow Kit along Lorong Haji Taib which is known for the sale of used clothings and accessories.
In popular culture
- Chow Kit Road became the subject of hit song, Chow Kit Road, made famous by the late Sudirman Arshad. Sudirman held an open-air concert on the road in 1986 to a 100,000-strong audience.
- Malaysian Road Names: Who's Who?
- "Bundle Chow Kit tetap hebat", Harian Metro. Bernama. Accessed 19 July 2007.[dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-09-14. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Photographs of Chow Kit wet market". Independent Travellers. independent-travellers.com. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Good ol’ charm of Jalan Chow Kit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chow Kit.|
|This Malaysian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|