This article possibly contains original research. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chowdhury is a hereditary title of honor originating in the Indian subcontinent.
Its alternate spellings include: Chaudri, Choudhary Chaudhry, Chowdary, Chaudhary, Chaudry, Choudary, Choudhry, Chaudhari, Chudhry and Choudhury.
Meaning and significance
"Chowdhury" is a term in Indo-Aryan languages, literally meaning "holder of four" (four denoting a measure of land) in Sanskrit, from čatus (four) and dhar (to hold or possess). The name is an ancient Sanskrit term denoting the head of a community or caste. These people generally belong to the upper castes who were the landlords, Zamindars, Thasildar before and during British Raj. The title is used by Yadavs and Jats.
- Justice Abu Sayeed Chowdhury, 2nd President of Bangladesh
- Justice A. F. M. Ahsanuddin Chowdhury, 9th President of Bangladesh
- Anwarul Karim Chowdhury, former UN Under Secretary General
- A. Q. M. Badruddoza Chowdhury, 13th President of Bangladesh
- Ayesha Bedora Choudhury, doctor
- Justice Badrul Haider Chowdhury, 5th Chief Justice of Bangladesh
- Faizunnesa Choudhurani, Muslim feminist and awarded the title Nawab by Queen Victoria
- Fazlul Qadir Chaudhry, 5th Speaker of the National Assembly of Pakistan
- Hasan Mashhud Chowdhury, former Chief of Staff of the Bangladesh Army
- Humayun Rashid Choudhury, 41st President of the United Nations General Assembly & 7th Speaker of the Bangladesh National Parliament
- Chowdhury Kazemuddin Ahmed Siddiky, founding president of Assam Bengal Muslim League
- Shamsul Huda Chaudhury, 3rd Speaker of the Bangladesh National Parliament
- Mizanur Rahman Chowdhury, 5th Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Speaker of the Bangladesh National Parliament
- Rezwana Chowdhury, renowned exponent of Tagore songs
- Shayan Chowdhury, Bengali indie musician and singer
- Samson H. Chowdhury, Bengali Christian entrepreneur and business leader
- Justice Mainur Reza Chowdhury, 12th Chief Justice of Bangladesh
- Mehazabien Chowdhury, actress
- Najma Chowdhury, academic
- Mahendra Mohan Choudhry ,Former Chief Minister of Assam and Governor of Punjab
- Upendrakishore Ray Chowdhury, 19th century aristocrat
- Anjan Choudhury, Bengali film director and writer
- Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Member of the 16th Lok Sabha of India.
- Pramatha Chaudhuri, 19th century Bengali writer and an influential figure in Bengali literature.
- Salil Chowdhury, Indian music director & composer
- Nirad Chandra Chaudhuri, Indian Writer
- Chaudhary Charan Singh, 6th Prime Minister of India
- Veerabhadram Chowdary, film director
- Renuka Chowdhury, former Union Minister of State
- Veeramachineni Jagapathi Rao Chowdary, Telugu film actor
- Chaudhary Devi Lal, former Deputy Prime Minister of India
- A. B. A. Gani Khan Choudhury, former Railway Minister of India
- K. V. Chowdary
- Shankar Roychowdhury, former Chief of Staff of the Indian Army
- Joyanto Nath Chaudhuri, former Chief of Staff of the Indian Army
- Chaudhary Harmohan Singh Yadav, Shaurya Chakra awardee
- Bula Choudhury, former national women's swimming champion
- Sarita Choudhury, Indian Actress and model
- Shagun Chowdhary, Indian shooter
- Chaudhary Brahm Prakash Yadav, Former Chief Minister, Delhi
- Jogen Chowdhury, eminent Indian painter of 21st century India
- Mahima Chaudhry, Indian Actress and model
- Mohinder Singh Chaudhury, Indian politician
- Sophie Choudry, Indian Actress and dancer
- Rita Chowdhury, established poet & novelist, Sahitya Akademi Award recipient
- Aadesh Chaudhary, Indian actor
- R. B. Choudary, Indian Film producer
- Y. S. Chowdary, Indian central minister for state<
- Gurmeet Choudhary, Indian Television actor
- Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, Indian Film director
- Ranjit Chowdhry, Indian actor
- Arindam Chaudhuri, Indian author
- Somlata Acharyya Chowdhury, Indian Singer
- Sonali Chowdhury, Indian Actress
- Chumki Choudhury, Indian Actress
- Rina Choudhury, Indian Actress
- Tridha Choudhury, Indian Actress
- karmveer Choudhary, Indian Actor
- Binod Chaudhary, Nepalese billionaire
- Mahendra Chaudhry, former Prime Minister of Fiji
- Cecil Chaudhry, Pakistani academic, human rights activist, veteran fighter pilot
- Chaudhary Rahmat Ali, Pakistani Movement activist
- Chaudhry Muhammad Ali, 4th Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry, 5th President of Pakistan
- Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, 14th Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, former Chief Justice of Pakistan
- Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, Minister of Interior of Pakistan
- Anjem Choudary, Islamist political activist
- Anwar Choudhury, British diplomat
- Mamun Chowdhury, British businessman
- Roshonara Choudhry, British Islamic extremist
- Shefali Chowdhury, English actress of Bangladeshi descent
- Paul Chowdhry English comedian of Punjabi origin.
- Michael Chowdry, founder of cargo airliner Atlas Air
- Satveer Chaudhary, former Minnesota state senator
- Subir Chowdhury, author & management consultant
- Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press
- Campbell, Mike. "User-submitted surname Choudhry". Behind the Name. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Sons of Krishna: the politics of Yadav community formation in a North Indian town" (PDF). Sociological Bulletin. Indian Sociological Society. London School of Economics and Political. 2004-01-01.
- Sociological Bulletin. Indian Sociological Society. 2004-01-01.
- "What's in a name? These caste groups will tell you". The News Minute. 2015-04-12. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- M. L. Ahuja (2000). Handbook of General Elections and Electoral Reforms in India, 1952-1999. Mittal Publications. pp. 302, 340. ISBN 9788170997665.
- Pakistani Leaders Online
|This page lists people with the surname Chowdhury. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|