Chowilla Regional Reserve
|Chowilla Regional Reserve
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
|Nearest town or city||Berri|
|Established||8 April 1993|
|Area||752.21 km2 (290.4 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources
Robertson Chowilla Pty Ltd
|Website||Chowilla Regional Reserve|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Chowilla Regional Reserve is protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located in the gazetted locality of Chowilla about 250 kilometres (160 mi) north-east of the state capital of Adelaide. It was proclaimed 8 April 1993 in conjunction with the Chowilla Game Reserve and has an area of 75,221 hectares (185,880 acres). ‘It protects and conserves a semi-arid environment adjacent to the Murray River. The dominant land uses of the reserve are pastoral production, conservation of natural and historic features and tourism/recreation.’
- Protected areas of South Australia
- Regional reserves of South Australia
- Regional Reserve (Australia)
- Riverland Biosphere Reserve
- Chowilla, South Australia
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 17 Feb 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Fire Management Plan, Bookmark Mallee 2009-2019" (PDF). Department for Environment and Heritage. p. 54. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2014. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Regional reserves". Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 31 March 2014.