Chris A. Brown
|Christopher "Chris" A. Brown|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 2nd district
January 10, 2012
Serving with Vince Mazzeo
|Preceded by||Vincent J. Polistina|
August 3, 1964 |
Atlantic City, New Jersey
|Website||Legislative web page|
Christopher "Chris" A. Brown (born August 3, 1964) is an American Republican Party politician who has served in the New Jersey General Assembly since January 2012, representing the 2nd Legislative District. He is a veteran of the Gulf War.
Brown was born in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1964. He earned a B.A. degree from Rutgers University in 1987, and after graduation was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army. He served in the Army during the Gulf War, attached to the 82nd Airborne Division. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal and Combat Infantryman Badge for his service in the ground offensive in Iraq.
He received a J.D. degree from Widener University School of Law in 1991. In 1991–1992, Brown interned with L. Anthony Gibson, Presiding Judge of the Chancery Division of the New Jersey Superior Court for Atlantic and Cape May Counties. In 1992–1993, he clerked for Superior Court Judge Charles R. Previti. He is board certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a civil trial attorney and has been admitted to the bar in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
He has served as the Prosecutor of Egg Harbor Township, Solicitor for the Atlantic City Council, Solicitor for the Atlantic City Board of Education, and Assistant Solicitor for Egg Harbor Township.
In 2008, Brown was called up for service in the Iraq War and spent three months preparing to deploy to Iraq. However, the Army determined that it had made a mistake in activating him, and he was sent home, receiving an honorable discharge.
In 2011, Brown ran as a Republican for the General Assembly representing the 2nd District, filling the seat of Vincent J. Polistina, who left the Assembly in an unsuccessful bid for the New Jersey Senate, running against incumbent Jim Whelan. Brown and his running mate John F. Amodeo defeated the Democratic candidates, Alisa Cooper and Damon Tyner. He was sworn in on January 10, 2012.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 2nd District for the 2016–2017 Legislative Session are:
- "Christopher A. Brown". Lawyers.com. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Attorney Profile". Christopher A. Brown, Counselors at Law. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Analysis: N.J. Legislature's racial, ethnic makeup out of step with state's demographics". The Star-Ledger. 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Republicans Amodeo and Brown win 2nd District Assembly seats by several thousand votes each". Press of Atlantic City. 2011-11-09. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Turnover in N.J. Legislature is slight". Asbury Park Press. 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Smith, Shaun. "Amodeo, Brown retain District 2 Assembly seats", Shore News Today, November 6, 2013. Accessed November 23, 2016. "Brown, 49, of Ventnor said, 'I am honored and humbled the voters have once again placed their faith in me. I look forward to working with the governor and my colleagues to provide New Jersey's families with property tax relief and continue our efforts to attract businesses and create local jobs.'"
- "Assemblyman Chris A. Brown - New Jersey Assembly Republicans". New Jersey Assembly Republicans. Retrieved August 28, 2015.
- Legislative Roster 2016-2017 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed August 23, 2016.
- Assemblyman Chris A. Brown's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
|New Jersey General Assembly|
Vincent J. Polistina
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 2nd District
January 10, 2012 – present
With: John F. Amodeo, Vince Mazzeo