Chris Adams (general)
||This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
July 8, 1930 |
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
Christopher S. Adams, Jr. (born July 8, 1930) is an American author and retired United States Air Force officer.
Early life and education
Air Force career
During his US Air Force career, he served as a wing commander, air division commander and senior staff officer with the Defense Nuclear Agency and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is a Command Pilot and Vietnam veteran, and logged over 8,000 hours in a variety of aircraft including the B-36, B-52, C-141 and C-47 ‘Gooney Bird’ in Vietnam.
During his military career he received the Distinguished Service Medal, the Department of Defense Meritorious Service Medal, two Legions of Merit, two Air Medals for service in Vietnam combat and numerous other awards; as well as the Daughters of the American Revolution Medal of Honor.
Adams retired from the Air Force with the grade of major general and Chief of Staff, Strategic Air Command in 1983 to accept an appointment as Associate Director at Los Alamos National Laboratory. He later joined Andrew Corporation as Vice President of Government Systems, where he spent fifteen years and traveled extensively in Saudi Arabia, China and the Soviet Union, including 23 extended visits to Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
Public service and writing
Adams served with numerous government agencies and university foundations, and was appointed by Texas Governor Rick Perry to serve on the Brazos River Authority Board of Directors. He is the author of ten books on the Cold War, three non-fiction and seven spy novels.
- Profiles In Betrayal: The Enemy Within, December 2002, ISBN 0-595-25277-X
- Chris Adams. (March 2004), The Betrayal Mosaic: A Cold War Spy Story, New York: iUniverse, Inc., ISBN 0-595-30913-5
- Out of Darkness: The Last Russian Revolution, May 2006, ISBN 0-595-39755-7
- Chris Adams ; foreword by James Henry Conrad. (July 2001), Ideologies in Conflict: A Cold War Docu-Story, San Jose: Writer's Showcase, ISBN 0-595-18963-6
- Inside The Cold War: A Cold Warrior's Reflections, December 2004, ISBN 1-4102-1891-0
- Red Eagle: A Story of Cold War Espionage, September 2000, ISBN 0-595-13159-X
- "Thinking big, Former Air Force men want to preserve a piece of history by using giant bomb casing in a monument". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Fort Worth, Texas. August 21, 2006. p. B1. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
Retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Chris Adams, the former chief of staff for SAC, who now lives in Granbury, said the base needs "some SAC symbology" because very ...
- "Hearing Will Probe Need For Titan II's". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California: Called to appear before the House committee are Air Force Secretary Hans Mark: ... Gen Chris Adams, the Strategic Air Command's deputy chief of operations. ... September 24, 1980. p. B22. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Major General Chris Adams Endowed Scholarship Fund". Texas A&M University. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Official U.S. Air Force Biography". U.S. Air Force. Retrieved 15 February 2012.