||1971 (age 44–45)
Chris Bachelder (born 1971) is an American writer, e-book pioneer and frequent contributor to the publications McSweeney's Quarterly Concern and The Believer.
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, he grew up in Christiansburg, Virginia. He attended Virginia Tech (BA, 1992) and the University of Florida at Gainesville (MFA, 2002).
Bachelder has taught fiction writing and literature courses at Colorado College (Assistant Professor), North Carolina Governor's School West, New Mexico State University (Visiting Professor), and The University of Massachusetts Amherst MFA Program for Poets & Writers, along with Sabina Murray, Noy Holland and Anthony Giardina. He currently teaches at the University of Cincinnati (Associate Professor).
Bachelder's e-book, Lessons in Virtual Tour Photography, was McSweeney's first career-development e-book. By 2004, more than 45,000 people had downloaded the novel. His most recent novel, The Throwback Special, was published by W.W. Norton and Company in March 2016 and has been named as a finalist for the National Book Award.
- Bear v. Shark (Scribner, 2001)
- Lessons in Virtual Tour Photography (e-book), 2006, McSweeney's
- U.S.! (Bloomsbury USA, 2006).
- Abbott Awaits (Louisiana State University Press, 2011)
- The Throwback Special (W. W. Norton, 2016)
- Chris Bachelder, Lessons in Virtual Tour Photography (free e-book), McSweeney's
- "Resurrecting Upton Sinclair", 11 March 2006, NPR
- Scott Sutherland, "In This Corner, Weighing In at 1,500 Pounds . . ." (Review of 'Bear v. Shark'), The New York Times, 2 December 2001
- Kevin Leahy, "An Interview with Chris Bachelder", Bookslut, January 2004 (refers also to Bear v. Shark)
- L'Official, Peter. "Left Behind". The Village Voice. Villagevoice.com (14 February 2006).
- Chris Bachelder, "'The Jungle' at 100: Why the reputation of Upton Sinclair's good book has gone bad", Mother Jones, January–February 2006
- Elizabeth Kiem, Review: "In satirist's vision, Sinclair lives!", The San Francisco Chronicle, 12 February 2006
- Bachelder Interview, OxMag (Miami University of Ohio), May 2007
- "Upton Sinclair is back from the dead! Chris Bachelder reads from his novel 'US!'", Bosphorus Art Project Quarterly, Winter 2009 (audio clip)