Chris Bender (singer)
Bender in 1991
|Birth name||Christopher Lamont Bender|
|Also known as||Chris Bender|
|Born||August 2, 1972|
Brockton, Massachusetts, USA
|Died||November 3, 1991 (aged 19)|
Brockton, Massachusetts, USA
|Labels||Epic Records, EastWest Records|
|Associated acts||T Calloway, Earl Williams (Mentor/manager)|
Christopher Lamont Bender, known as Chris Bender, (August 2, 1972 – November 3, 1991) was an American R&B singer who reached the national music charts in 1991 with the album entitled Draped before his murder.
He was from the Boston, Massachusetts area, growing up in Brockton, Massachusetts and later living in Waltham. At the age of 16, Bender recorded his first album, Chris Bender, for Epic Records. The first single "Baby Girl" was released in 1989 but limited copies of the album were released. Bender's manager Terryl L. Calloway later stated about Baby Girl: " The video was never [released]. " Bender nevertheless went on to secure a $500,000 contract with EastWest Records. He signed a seven-album contract, although only one album on that contract was released before his death. The album Draped hit No. 92 on the Billboard magazine R&B album chart. His two charted singles "I Knew" and "That's Not The Way" broke into the top 70 on the Hot R&B Singles chart. Other songs he was known for included "Who Will I Choose" and "Kiss and Make Up".
On November 3, 1991, at 2:17 A.M., Bender was shot and killed in Brockton while sitting in his black Mercedes Benz outside of the Crescent Court housing project where his mother lived. Eroy Kindell was convicted of second degree murder and has been recently released from prison. His accomplice Stephen "Sticks" Fernandes was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to life without parole.
Chris Bender (12")
- 1. Teddy Bear
- 2 Baby Girl
- 3 Any Good Girls Left
- 4 Conceited Girl
- 5 Never Give Up On Me
- 6 That's How Love Happens
- 7 Intimate Lover
- 8 Go On And Love Your Lady
Draped (12" / CD)
- 1. I Knew
- 2. Draped
- 3. It's All About You
- 4. Spellbound
- 5. Prelude... Stay Til The Morning
- 6. Don't Go Home
- 7. That's Not The Way
- 8. Sorry Didn't Do It
- 9. Who Will I Choose?
- 10. Pouring Down Rain
- 11. Kiss & Make Up
- 12. Kiss & Make Up [The Apologize Mix]
- Christopher Lamont "Chris" Bender (1972 - 1991) - Find A Grave Memorial
- Article: 500 mourn slain Brockton singer In eulogy, minister urges youth to shun drugs, violence, By Sandy Coleman, GLOBE STAFF, November 9, 1991, The Boston Globe (Boston, MA)
- Sullivan, Jack (1991-11-04). "Rising Star Shot Dead in Brockton: 19-Year-Old Recording Artist Was Sitting in Car at Housing Project". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2007-10-26.
- Walker, Adrian (1991-11-10). "Slain Brockton singer heard the call of conflicting worlds". The Boston Globe. p. 31.
- McAdams, Janine (1991-11-16). "EastWest Act Chris Bender Dies From Gunshot Wound". Billboard. p. 20.
- Commonwealth vs. Stephen Fernandes, 425 Mass. 357 (1997).
- Associated Press (1991-11-05). "Singer, 19, is slain in Massachusetts". The Kansas City Star. p. E4. Retrieved 2007-10-26.
- Commonwealth vs. Eroy Kindell, 44 Mass. App. Ct. 200 (1998).
- Chris Bender - Draped (12 tracks) +Album Reviews, swapacd
- on YouTube