Christopher Blattman is an economist and political scientist working on international development and policy, as well as a blogger on international economics and politics. He is the Ramalee E. Pearson Professor of Global Conflict Studies at the University of Chicago's Harris School of Public Policy Studies and The Pearson Institute for the Study and Resolution of Global Conflicts. He is also a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a non-resident fellow with the Center for Global Development, and a Board Member and academic lead of the Crime and Violence Section of the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab 
Blattman received a BA in Economics from the University of Waterloo. He completed a Master's in Public Administration and International Development (MPA/ID) from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of California, Berkeley.
Blattman was a resident fellow at the Center for Global Development in 2007-2008 and a faculty member at Yale University from 2008 to 2012 before moving to Columbia University in 2012, where he became an associate professor of international affairs and political science in July 2014. He moved to The University of Chicago in 2016. He blogs on his personal website and for the Washington Post's Monkey Cage.
Research & Writing
Blattman has used field experiments to argue that poor and unemployed young people in low-income countries tend to invest cash in small enterprises and thus raise their incomes. He advocated for cash transfers to the poor in a 2014 New York Times op-ed as well as a 2014 Foreign Affairs magazine article.This work has also been covered by National Public Radio, the New York Times, Slate, and the Financial Times, among others.
- Blattman, Chris. "About me".
- "The Pearson Institute names inaugural faculty members". University of Chicago. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Chris Blattman: International development, economics, politics, and policy".
- "Chris Blattman: Contributor, Monkey Cage". The Washington Post.
- "Let them eat cash". June 29, 2014.
- "Show Them the Money". May–June 2014.
- "What Happens When You Just Give Money To Poor People?". NPR Planet Money. November 8, 2013.
- Lowrey, Annie (June 20, 2013). "Ending Poverty by Giving the Poor Money". New York Times Economix blog.
- Yglesias, Mathew (May 29, 2013). "The Best and Simplest Way to Fight Global Poverty".
- Harford, Tim (July 12, 2013). "The Undercover Economist: How to give money away".