|Birth name||Christopher Alan Broderick|
March 6, 1970|
Lakewood, Colorado, U.S.
|Genres||Heavy metal, thrash metal, hard rock, speed metal, power metal, progressive metal|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Megadeth, Jag Panzer, Nevermore, Act of Defiance|
Christopher Alan "Chris" Broderick (born March 6, 1970) is an American musician, best known as the former lead and rhythm guitarist of the American heavy metal band Megadeth. He is also formerly the lead guitarist and keyboardist for Jag Panzer, appearing on four of Jag Panzer's albums The Age of Mastery, Thane to the Throne (a concept album about Shakespeare's Macbeth), Mechanized Warfare and Casting the Stones before moving on to Megadeth, replacing Glen Drover. Before joining Megadeth and while still in Jag Panzer, he was also a touring guitarist for Nevermore between 2001 and 2003 and then again between 2006 and 2007. He is now the Lead Guitarist for Act of Defiance, which he formed with fellow ex-Megadeth bandmate, Shawn Drover.
Broderick started playing guitar when he was 11 years old. His playing styles range from metal, classical, neoclassical, and jazz. Broderick has been said to have practiced 14 hours a day during his summers as a teen.
He practiced electric guitar, classical guitar, piano, and violin under a strict daily routine. He has said that at that time it seemed more like a "chore" than for entertainment. He was a standout player in the Denver music scene from 1988 on in bands Grey Haven, Industrial Eden (guitarist/lead vocalist) and Killing Time.
He also has a degree in classical guitar music performance at the University of Denver's Lamont School of Music. He is also interested in flamenco guitar and rates Paco de Lucia as his favourite guitarist.
Jag Panzer (1997–2008)
In 1997, guitarist Joey Tafolla left Jag Panzer for the second time, citing a lack of interest in playing heavy metal. For the band, this was a huge problem. Tafolla's guitar work was complex and technical, and as far as they knew few guitarists could comprehend it. This is when Chris was brought into the fold of Jag Panzer and stayed with them for almost a decade. He played on four of the band's albums. 1998's The Age of Mastery, 2000's Thane to the Throne (a concept album about William Shakespeare's play Macbeth), 2001's Mechanized Warfare, 2003's compilation album Decade of the Nail Spiked Bat and 2004's Casting the Stones.
Nevermore (2001–2003, 2006–2007)
During the time period of 2000 – 2003 and some of 2004 Chris was taking part in the live shows of heavy metal band Nevermore. After the release of the album, This Godless Endeavor, he began once again to tour with Nevermore until joining Megadeth in 2008.
In late 2007, rumors had been circulating that Megadeth guitarist Glen Drover had left the band. This was proved to be true after statements released from both Glen and Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine. The night after the statements were released, Megadeth drummer Shawn Drover brought up Chris as a possible replacement. Shawn then showed Dave a video of Chris playing both classical and electric guitar. Dave was immediately won over and soon managed to get in contact with Chris. Two weeks later, Broderick was officially declared the new guitarist for Megadeth. He made his live debut with the band on February 4, 2008 in Finland and toured with them on Gigantour 2008 and also recorded guitar parts for their 12th album Endgame thru their 14th album, Super Collider. Due to extensive touring with Megadeth he was no longer be able to collaborate with Jag Panzer and Nevermore. Dave Mustaine said that when he partnered up with Broderick, he said that it reminded him of when "Ozzy Osbourne met Randy Rhoads". On March 8, 2009, Dave commented that he thought Chris was the greatest guitarist Megadeth has ever had. In the then-current line up of the band, he was the youngest member in Megadeth. He said in an interview with Total Guitar he would stay with Megadeth as long as they were happy to have him.
On November 25, 2014 Chris Broderick posted a message on his website saying he was parting ways with Megadeth.
"Due to artistic and musical differences, it is with great reluctance that I announce my departure from Megadeth to pursue my own musical direction. I want all of you to know how much I appreciate the amount that you the fans have accepted and respected me as a member of Megadeth for the last seven years, but it is time for me to move on. I wish Dave and everyone in Megadeth all the best. I am working on a few things of my own and hope that when they come out, you will all dig it."
Act of Defiance (2014–present)
After leaving Megadeth, Chris Broderick and former Megadeth drummer Shawn Drover formed Act of Defiance along with ex-Scar the Martyr frontman Henry Derek Bonner and former Shadows Fall guitarist Matt Bachand.
Chris was endorsed by Ibanez guitars and DiMarzio Pickups (A Pair of D Activator 7's neck and bridge models) along with ENGL amplifiers and Ernie Ball Slinky strings. Before using Ibanez Guitars, he used Schecter Guitars with Seymour Duncan pickups. In the past he has also used Bare Knuckle Pickups, mainly the coldsweat models.
Despite an ENGL endorsement he used Marshall Amps (the JVM 410 and EL34 100/100 power amp) during his time in Megadeth at Mustaine's demand.
In January 2011, Chris Broderick left Ibanez and is now endorsing Jackson Guitars. He is playing a custom shop archtop soloist produced to his personal demands, featuring 24 frets, 12" radius, custom DiMarzio pickups (tentatively called the Fundamental) and is available in a 6 or 7 string configuration. Chris uses Dunlop Tortex T3 picks in 1.35mm. Chris uses a pick holder that keeps the pick in place on his thumb, which he has manufactured and sells on his website.
- Jag Panzer 1997–2008
- Nevermore 2001–2003, 2006–2007 (live member only)
- Megadeth 2008–2014
- Act of Defiance 2014–present
- The Age of Mastery (1998)
- Thane to the Throne (2000)
- Mechanized Warfare (2001)
- The Era of Kings and Conflict (2002)
- Decade of the Nail Spiked Bat (2003)
- Casting the Stones (2004)
- Blood in the Water: Live in San Diego (2008) (unreleased)
- Endgame (2009)
- Rust in Peace Live (2010)
- The Big 4 Live from Sofia, Bulgaria (2010)
- Thirteen (2011)
- Super Collider (2013)
- Countdown to Extinction: Live (2013)
- The Year of the Voyager (2008)
Act of Defiance
- "Interview with MEGADETH Guitarist Chris Broderick – Videos on Demand". Metal Injection. May 20, 2008. Archived from the original on February 13, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Interview – Chris Broderick of Jag Panzer". Sevenstring.org. Archived from the original on November 21, 2010. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "www.megadethworld.com". www.megadethworld.com. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Dave Mustaine: 'Chris Broderick Is The Best Guitarist Megadeth Has Ever Had'". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2009. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Former MEGADETH Members Officially Launch New Band, ACT OF DEFIANCE; Offer First Taste of New Music". Metal Injection. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Fender® Musical Instruments. "Chris Broderick Announces New Band Act of Defiance". jacksonguitars.com. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Chris Broderick and Jackson Guitars " Chris Broderick Official Blog". Chrisbroderick.com. January 9, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Broderick.|
- Chris Broderick's official website
- Jag Panzer's official website
- Megadeth's official website
- Skill Showcase
| Megadeth lead guitarist