Chris Cookson (born November 19, 1946) was the President of Sony Pictures Technologies, a division of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Chief Officer, Sony 3D Technology Center, Sony Corporation of America. As President of Sony Pictures Technologies, Cookson oversaw the development and implementation of the studio’s technology policy and processes. He also served as Sony Pictures’ chief liaison with other Sony Corporation businesses in the area of technology. Cookson holds more than 50 U.S. patents, including several involving DVDs, and has been leading the effort to maintain high standards of quality on theatrical digital post production technologies.
Cookson opened Sony Pictures’ dedicated 4K Digital Intermediate facility, Colorworks, where world-renowned colorists utilize state-of-the-art technology to master movies in 2D and 3D. He also acts as the studio’s representative and a top advisor to the Sony Corp. on all things 3D and is the Chief Officer overseeing the Sony 3D Technology Center based on the Sony Pictures Studio lot. Cookson is also leading the studio’s effort to roll-out cloud-based production tools. Prior to joining Sony Pictures, Cookson was Chief Technology Officer of Warner Bros. Entertainment and President of the Warner Bros. Technical Operations Division. He became CTO in 1999, and began his career with Warner Bros. in 1992. Previously he served as Vice President and General Manager of Operations and Engineering for the CBS Television Network in New York, and before that, worked for ten years at the ABC Television Network, where he won an Emmy award for his work as Director of the ABC and International Olympics Broadcast Centers.
Cookson is a fellow of The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, a member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. He has been awarded three Emmys, including the Charles F. Jenkins Lifetime Achievement Award, and has served on the Committee for Engineering Awards.
- "Cookson Takes Over Technology for Sony Pictures". Broadcasting&Cable. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Christopher J Cookson - Inventor". PatentIPEXL. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Sony Pictures Entertainemtn Opens Colorworks". PRNewswire. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Cookson Named President of Sony Pictures Technologies". PRNewswire. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Hollywood's Tech Ambassador". ETCenter. Archived from the original on 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Chris Cookson Promoted". Time Warner. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Daniel Miller; Dawn C. Chmielewski (22 January 2014). "Sony Pictures lays off employees in technology group, including leader". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Committee List". SMPTE. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Academy of Television Arts and Sciences". Emmys.tv. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "2011 Business Homecoming Hall of Fame". ASU. Retrieved 2012-08-09.