Chris Dixon is an American internet entrepreneur and investor. He is the co-founder, and former CEO, of the website Hunch. He is a general partner at the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, and previously worked at eBay.
Early life and education
Dixon is a general partner at Andreessen Horowitz, a venture capital firm in Menlo Park, California. Since joining the firm in January 2013, Dixon has led a variety of investments for the firm including FiftyThree Soylent, and Nootrobox and he sits on the boards of drone startup Airware, 3D printing startup Shapeways, and digital Bitcoin wallet Coinbase.
In the late 1990s, he spent three years as a software programmer at Arbitrade, a hedge fund focused on high-frequency trading. He then joined the venture capital firm Bessemer Venture Partners.
In 2005, Dixon co-founded SiteAdvisor, a web-security startup that was bought by security company McAfee in 2006. In 2009, he founded Hunch with Caterina Fake and Tom Pinckney, which was acquired by eBay in 2011. He also co-founded Founder Collective, a seed-stage venture capital fund and became an investor in BuzzFeed, Makerbot, Betaworks, Uber, Venmo, Milo, Hotel Tonight, and others.
Dixon won the 2012 Crunchie "Angel of the Year" award.
- "Andreessen Horowitz Hires Chris Dixon Away From EBay". The New York Times. November 2012.
- "Super-Seed Funds-- Back to the Future". Harvard Business School Club of New York. November 2012.
- "Chris Dixon Leaves eBay, Joins Andreessen Horowitz As Partner". Forbes. November 2012.
- "FiftyThree, Maker Of Drawing App Paper, Raises $15 Million From Andreessen Horowitz And Others". TechCrunch. June 2013.
- "Soylent Closes $1.5M In Seed Funding From Lerer, Andreessen Horowitz". TechCrunch. October 2013.
- "Andreessen Horowitz to Invest in Nootropics Start-Up", New York Times, December 3, 2015
- "Airware Raises $10.7M From Andreessen Horowitz To Build Brains For Unmanned Drones". TechCrunch. May 2013.
- "Chris Dixon and Andreessen Horowitz invest $30M in 3D printing marketplace Shapeways". VentureBeat. April 2013.
- "Bitcoin's Biggest Bet: Andreessen Horowitz Leads $25 Million Investment in Coinbase". AllThingsD. December 2013.
- "Oculus raises $75 million to jump-start the virtual reality business". TheVerge. December 2013.
- "Oculus". cdixon.org. March 2014.
- "About Me". cdixon.org. August 2014.
- "Chris Dixon". Andreessen Horowitz blog. November 2012.
- "McAfee buys SiteAdvisor". Computer World. April 2006.
- "eBay snaps up recommendations service Hunch". VentureBeat. November 2011.
- "The Top Angel Investors: Behind the Rankings". BusinessWeek. February 2010.
- Rao, Leena. "Chris Dixon Wins Crunchies 2012 "Angel Of The Year;" Peter Thiel Is Named "VC Of The Year"". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-05-05.