Chris Dixon (born 1972) is an American internet entrepreneur and investor. He is a general partner at the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, and previously worked at eBay. He is also the co-founder and former CEO of Hunch, a website.
Early life and education
In the late 1990s, Dixon spent three years as a software programmer at Arbitrade, a hedge fund focused on high-frequency trading. He then joined the venture capital firm Bessemer Venture Partners.
In 2005, Dixon co-founded SiteAdvisor, a web-security startup that was bought by security company McAfee in 2006. In 2009, he founded Hunch with Caterina Fake and Tom Pinckney, which was acquired by eBay in 2011. He also co-founded Founder Collective, a seed-stage venture capital fund and became an investor in BuzzFeed, Makerbot, Betaworks, Uber, Venmo, Milo, and Hotel Tonight.
Dixon is a general partner at Andreessen Horowitz, a venture capital firm in Menlo Park, California. Since joining the firm in January 2013, Dixon has led a variety of investments for the firm including FiftyThree Soylent, and Nootrobox and he sits on the boards of drone startup Airware, 3D printing startup Shapeways, and digital Bitcoin wallet Coinbase.
Dixon won the 2012 Crunchie "Angel of the Year" award.
- "Andreessen Horowitz Hires Chris Dixon Away From EBay". The New York Times. November 19, 2012.
- "Super-Seed Funds-- Back to the Future". Harvard Business School Club of New York. November 2012.
- "About Me". cdixon.org. August 2014.
- "Chris Dixon". Andreessen Horowitz blog. November 2012.
- "McAfee buys SiteAdvisor". Computer World. April 2006.
- "eBay snaps up recommendations service Hunch". VentureBeat. November 2011.
- "Chris Dixon Leaves eBay, Joins Andreessen Horowitz As Partner". Forbes. November 2012.
- "FiftyThree, Maker Of Drawing App Paper, Raises $15 Million From Andreessen Horowitz And Others". TechCrunch. June 2013.
- "Soylent Closes $1.5M In Seed Funding From Lerer, Andreessen Horowitz". TechCrunch. October 2013.
- "Andreessen Horowitz to Invest in Nootropics Start-Up", The New York Times, December 3, 2015
- "Airware Raises $10.7M From Andreessen Horowitz To Build Brains For Unmanned Drones". TechCrunch. May 2013.
- "Chris Dixon and Andreessen Horowitz invest $30M in 3D printing marketplace Shapeways". VentureBeat. April 2013.
- "Bitcoin's Biggest Bet: Andreessen Horowitz Leads $25 Million Investment in Coinbase". AllThingsD. December 2013.
- "Oculus raises $75 million to jump-start the virtual reality business". TheVerge. December 2013.
- "Oculus". cdixon.org. March 2014.
- "The Top Angel Investors: Behind the Rankings". Bloomberg L.P. February 25, 2010.(subscription required)
- Rao, Leena. "Chris Dixon Wins Crunchies 2012 "Angel Of The Year;" Peter Thiel Is Named "VC Of The Year"". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-05-05.