This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
6 May 2016
|Preceded by||Huw Irranca-Davies|
Christopher Philip James
23 December 1983
Newport, Wales, UK
|Political party||Welsh Labour|
|Alma mater||Cardiff Metropolitan University|
Early life and career
He started his working life as a trainee butcher and later attended Cardiff Metropolitan University completing a degree in History and Culture in 2005. Elmore then worked in a number of professions including Further education.
Elmore unsuccessfully contested the seat of Vale of Glamorgan in the 2015 United Kingdom general election before being selected as the Labour candidate in the 2016 Ogmore by-election, which was held on 5 May 2016.
In June 2016, Elmore was joined the Justice Select Committee before also joining the Welsh Affairs Select Committee in July. In October 2016, he was appointed to the frontbench position of Opposition whip.
Since his election, Chris has particularly focused on issues that impact young people, often speaking in parliament and elsewhere on the subject. Youth engagement is an issue on which Elmore previously campaigned as a councillor.
In 2017, Chris was elected as Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Rail in Wales. Chris has been a vocal opponent of the Government's decision to cancel the planned electrification of the Great Western Mainline. In addition, he has also campaigned on issues including passenger safety.
- Elmore, Chris. "Home page". chriselmore.co.uk. Chris Elmore. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Shipton, Martin. "Labour select candidate for Ogmore's Parliamentary by-election". walesonline. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Chris Elmore". valeofglamorgan.gov.uk. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Ogmore by-election, 2016, walesonline.co.uk; accessed 17 May 2016.
- "Chris Elmore MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Corbyn confirms whips office shake-up as frontbench appointments continue". Labour's biggest independent grassroots e-network. 18 October 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- How do we engage more young people in their communities, Fabians.org.uk; accessed 2 December 2016.
- Chris Elmore profile, valeofglamorgan.uk; accessed 2 December 2016.
- Elmore, Chris (18 September 2017). "Chris Elmore MP becomes Chair of cross party group fighting for Welsh rail investment". chriselmore.co.uk. Chris Elmore. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Elmore, Chris (25 August 2017). "Chris Elmore: We've been DUPed by the Tories out of key rail infrastructure". Labour List. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing a Welsh constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2015 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|