Chris Flores (basketball)
|No. 1 – Uni-Riesen Leipzig|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
May 10, 1990 |
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||John D. O'Bryant (Roxbury, Massachusetts)
Marianapolis Prep (Thompson, Connecticut)
|NBA draft||2013 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
Christopher Mauricio "Chris" Flores (born May 10, 1990) is an American professional basketball player. He was the 2012–13 Great West Conference Player of the Year as a senior after leading the NJIT Highlanders to the school's first ever Great West Conference regular season championship. He also surpassed Isaiah Wilkerson as NJIT's all-time leading scorer in the Division I era after finishing his career with 1,726 points. As of 2013–14 he plays for Uni-Riesen Leipzig, a team in Germany.
Flores spent his traditional four-year high school career at John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics & Science in Roxbury, Massachusetts. In 2008–09, he spent one additional year at Marianapolis Preparatory School in Thompson, Connecticut. Flores averaged 17 points per game during that postgraduate year while shooting greater than 40 percent from three-point range. In the 2009 New England Class B Prep championship he scored 35 points. The New England Recruiting Report tabbed him as the 18th-best prospect from the state of Connecticut.
Flores suited up for the NJIT Highlanders from 2009–10 through 2012–13. In all four seasons he averaged between 12.6 and 16.9 points per game. From his freshman through his junior years, Flores was named to the All-Great West Conference Second Team, and in his freshman season he was also named to the All-GWC Newcomer Team as well as its Freshman of the Year. Heading into his senior season, the Great West Conference media selected Flores as the preseason player of the year. The media's prediction came true after Flores was named its player of the year by leading the Highlanders to their first ever conference regular season championship.
Flores went unselected in the 2013 NBA Draft. The Brooklyn Nets were the only NBA team to give him a pre-draft workout, and when no other teams showed interest he began his professional career overseas. In August 2013 he signed with Uni-Riesen Leipzig, a team in Germany's Bundesliga Pro-B.
- "NJIT's Chris Flores Named GWC Player of the Week". Great West Conference. March 4, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "Flores scores 32, becomes NJIT's career scoring leader in 108-69 rout of Fisher". Fox News. January 31, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "Chris Flores stats". sports-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. March 25, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "Chris Flores biography". NJIThighlanders.com. New Jersey Institute of Technology. 2012. Retrieved March 30, 0213. Check date values in:
- "Chris Flores Selected GWC Preseason Player of the Year". NJIThighlanders.com. New Jersey Institute of Technology. November 12, 2012. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- "NJIT's Chris Flores Headlines All-Great West Conference Men's Basketball Team". Great West Conference. March 13, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Korff, Moritz (August 14, 2013). "Christopher Flores signs with Uni-Riesen Leipzig". Eurobasket, Inc. Retrieved August 21, 2013.