|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, art director, production designer|
Chris Gorak is an American film director who started as an art director and production designer. He directed the 2006 film Right at Your Door and the 2011 film The Darkest Hour. Gorak began working in the film industry in the 1990s as an art director. In the 2000s, he worked on several films as production designer before becoming a film director.
Gorak attended Tulane University where he earned an architecture degree. He changed his career to film and worked as art director for directors like David Fincher, the Coen brothers, and Terry Gilliam. When Gorak worked as production designer on the 2004 film The Clearing, he expressed afterward to its producers an interest in film direction. They challenged him to provide something viable, and he wrote a script for an intended short film titled Right at Your Door. He eventually directed the 2006 feature thriller film Right at Your Door, which he said was reflective of authorities being impotent in a world after the September 11 attacks. He had initially worried about his film being too similar to 28 Days Later but found inspiration in filming on a low budget. After Right at Your Door, he planned to write and direct a cop drama titled SIS. The film was not realized, and Gorak instead directed the alien invasion film The Darkest Hour, released in 2011. In October 2013, Paramount Pictures bought Gorak's science fiction spec script Attach and began to develop a film, which Gorak is attached to direct.
- Hart, Hugh (August 19, 2007). "Hugh Hart's Industry Buzz: Chris Gorak directs 'Right at Your Door'". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on September 15, 2010.
- Murray, Rebecca (July 29, 2007). "Exclusive Interview with Chris Gorak, Writer/Director of Right at Your Door". Hollywood Movies. About.com. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- Lee, Marc (September 9, 2006). "Film-makers on film: Chris Gorak". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on August 5, 2010.
- Zeitchik, Steven (July 17, 2008). "Chris Gorak to write, direct 'SIS' for Warners". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (December 26, 2011). "'The Darkest Hour,' Directed by Chris Gorak – Review". The New York Times.
- Siegel, Tatiana (October 22, 2013). "Paramount Nabs Hot Sci-Fi Script From Chris Gorak". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "Member Profile – Art Directors Guild". adg.org. Art Directors Guild. Retrieved January 20, 2014.