Chris Guccione (umpire)
|68 – Chris Guccione|
Guccione in 2012
June 24, 1974 |
|MLB debut||April 25, 2000|
|Career highlights and awards|
Guccione has umpired in both the American League and National League since 2000, although he was not officially promoted to the full-time Major League staff until before the 2009 season. Guccione has 14 total years of professional umpiring experience, having worked in the Pioneer, Midwest, California, Texas and Pacific Coast leagues before reaching the MLB. He also officiated in the 2006 World Baseball Classic.
Guccione gained his first playoff experience in 2010, umpiring the 2010 American League Division Series between the New York Yankees and the Minnesota Twins. He has worked a total of six Division Series (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016), the 2012 National League Championship Series, and the 2016 World Series. According to an analysis done by the website FiveThirtyEight, he was the most accurate umpire in the major leagues in 2014 Major League Baseball season based on the number of unsuccessful manager challenges; 14 of his 15 calls that were challenged were upheld on video review.
Guiccione was chosen as the right field umpire for the 2011 All-Star Game. He was also chosen as one of the umpires for the one-game Wild Card playoff between the Baltimore Orioles and the Texas Rangers on October 5, 2012, and again for the 2012 NLCS 10 days later.
He was also the second base umpire in the 2015 National League Division Series between the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers when the Dodgers' Chase Utley appeared to have slid hard into second base, breaking the leg of Mets shortstop Rubén Tejada. Guccione initially called Utley out, but the call was controversially overturned on review.
Guccione worked his first World Series in 2016 and was the home plate umpire in Game 2.
- "Chris Guccione". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Chris Guccione - 68". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Veteran umpires assigned to Division Series". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Has Expanded Replay Worked Well In Baseball? Here's Our Call". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved 2015-10-14. Guccione was home plate umpire for Game 2 of the World Series Chicago Cubs vs Cleveland Indians.
- "Boxscore: AL All-Stars vs. NL All-Stars - July 12, 2011". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
-  ESPN.com Retrieved 29 September 2013
- Diamond, Jared. "Mets Irate After Takeout Slide Breaks Ruben Tejada's Leg". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2015-10-14.