Chris Hansen (politician)
This article may contain excessive or inappropriate references to self-published sources. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of the Colorado House of Representatives|
from the 6th district
|Assumed office |
January 11, 2017
|Preceded by||Lois Court|
|Born||June 16, 1975|
|Alma mater||Kansas State University|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Oxford
Christopher J. Hansen (born June 16, 1975) is a legislator in the U.S. state of Colorado. Elected to the Colorado House of Representatives as a Democrat in 2016, Hansen represents State House District 6, which encompasses part of east Denver.
Early life and education
Hansen was born in Goodland, Kansas, where his father worked as a high school teacher and coach, while his mother worked as a nurse in a local hospice. In 1998, Hansen earned his undergraduate degree in engineering from Kansas State University, where he also served as Student Body President and Chair of the Regent's Advisory Committee. He went on to earn a Master of Science from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2003, and a Ph.D in Economic Geography from the Linacre College at University of Oxford in 2009. His doctoral dissertation discussed a case study of a bottom up model of electricity reform in Gujarat, India.
During his tenure at IHS, Hansen served in multiple capacities for several non-profit and business groups operating in the state of Colorado, including:
- Co-Chair, Colorado Energy Coalition
- Board Secretary, Executive Committee, Denver Metro Chamber Leadership Foundation
- Mentor/Fundraiser, Denver Kids, Incorporated
- Member, Advisory Board, University of Colorado Denver Business School
- Member, Executive Committee, Central City Opera Board
In 2016, Hansen won the Democratic nomination for Colorado State House District 6 on June 28, 2016 with 58% of the vote. During the primary, Hansen focused on renewable energy, education funding, and job creation. He went on to run unopposed and won the general election on November 8, 2016.
- "Colorado House of Representatives elections, 2016 - Ballotpedia". Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Representative Chris Hansen - Colorado Democrats". Chris Hansen for Colorado House District 6. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Student Body President and Vice President History". www.k-state.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Voter Guide: Colorado House District 6 Democratic primary – The Denver Post". Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Representative Chris Hansen - Colorado Democrats". linkedin.com.
- "The Voter's Self Defense System". Vote Smart. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Chris Hansen - Ballotpedia". Retrieved 2017-05-05.