Chris Harris (New South Wales politician)
Chris Harris (born 28 June 1951) is an Australian politician.
Harris was an unsuccessful Greens candidate in the 2012 Sydney by-election. Chris was pre-selected by his party prior to the recent local government election, so did not re-contest his seat on the City of Sydney Council. Harris was the first Greens Councillor to be elected to the City of Sydney Council (2004.) He served as Deputy Lord Mayor (2006-2007) and in 2008 was re-elected along with a second Greens Councillor, Irene Doutney. Early in his constituency, Chris took residence in a Moreton Bay Fig tree as a protest against planned removal. Chris was an opponent of the Sydney cross-city tunnel which opened in 2005. In March 2007, he was involved in a scuffle with Liberal senator Bill Heffernan while handing out how-to-vote cards for the NSW State Election. In June 2007, Harris fought against the redevelopment of the Carlton United Brewery site in Chippendale, taking the then Minister for Planning to the Land and Environment Court. In August 2007, Chris Harris heavily opposed the security measures put in place for the hosting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference.
Christopher David Harris was born in Wentworthville on 28 June 1951 and schooled at Marist Brothers Westmead and Parramatta. He attended the University of NSW and graduated with a Commerce degree in the 1970s and added a Law degree in 2005. He married Kathy in 1972 and together they raised two daughters who are now in their 30s. One daughter has a doctorate in music from UNSW and works in academic research and the other is a circus aerial performer and teacher.
Chris worked in the Commonwealth Bank then moved on to a position in research in the Reserve Bank. For the last 30 years, he has owned and operated a successful small business. His private enterprises have focuses on campaigns, communications, conflict resolution, and project coordination.
- "Greens announce first ever Lord Mayor nominee for Sydney". AAP. 14 February 2004. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Debus labels Greens protest a stunt". The Age, Melbourne. 14 April 2004. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Sydney facing tunnel teething trouble". Melbourne: Sydney Morning Herald. 29 August 2005. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Silmalis, Linda (25 March 2007). "Heffernan thwarts Greens". Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Fight for green buildings". News.com.au. 12 June 2007. Archived from the original on 15 June 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Sydney councillor angered by APEC security measures". ABC News. 27 August 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-20.