Christopher Charles Hawkins
23 September 1975
|Residence||Wilmslow, Cheshire, England|
|Education||University of Nottingham|
|Occupation||radio presenter, TV personality|
|Spouse(s)||Clare Nasir (2005–present)|
Hawkins is a presenter on BBC Radio 6 Music. His show is weekdays, 5 – 7.30am. He can also be heard presenting documentary programmes on BBC Radio 4 and makes occasional appearances on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 5 live.
“A thoughtful, intellectually supple presenter” The Telegraph.
“Lovely music, sense of humour, and warm interaction with listeners” The Guardian.
Novelist Matt Haig, “Chris is a master interviewer.”
He makes frequent TV appearances as a personality pundit and pop-culture expert.
Early life, education
Hawkins did his university studies at the University of Nottingham, where he obtained a degree in American Studies, and spent some time at Middlebury College in the United States as an exchange student. Also, as a school boy at the independent school Ellesmere College in Ellesmere, Shropshire, he spent some time at the Tabor Academy in the United States, on an English-Speaking Union scholarship.
He has worked for the BBC World Service doing the UK Album Chart Show and the UK Top 20, presented a daily show on GLR 94.9 (BBC London 94.9) for over two years, Talk Radio UK as a reporter and producer, BBC London Live, Real Radio, American College Radio, Jazz FM in London and Classic Gold.
He co-presented a radio talk show with psychic Becky Walsh on Friday nights on LBC 97.3 FM radio and had his own show on LBC 97.3 on Saturday afternoons.
As a music journalist, he writes a music column for London magazines, including the music review section of Angel magazine.
In November 2009, Chris and Clare had their first child, a baby girl, Sienna.
- Chris has appeared on Celebrity Mastermind (his specialist subject was Coronation Street), he represented the University of Nottingham on Celebrity University Challenge, winning their heat, but failing to make the semi-finals.
- He has also appeared on Pointless Celebrities and Harry Hill's TV Burp.
- "Profile: Chris Hawkins", Nikki Johnceline Publicity
- "Agency Biography/CV: Chris Hawkins" Archived 3 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine, McLean-Williams Management, London.
- Van Voris, Richard, "Our Drama Exchange", Tabor Academy News, March 1, 2015
- Reagle,Chris, "English students forge bonds at Tabor Academy", South Coast Today newspaper, New Bedford, Massachusetts, April 1, 1998 (Updated Jan 11, 2011)
- "Believe in Tomorrow: Prince's Trust Annual Review 2008–2010" Archived 12 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, Prince's Trust, March 2011. Cf. p.35
- "DJ’s dash to see birth of daughter", Shropshire Star, Saturday 14 November 2009
- Freaky Eaters – "Addicted to Junk Food" episode, Series 2, BBC programme website
- Slade, Jane, "Weather girl tunes in to better life in the north", Daily Express, Property, 29 February 2012
- Reeder, Janet, "How Wilmslow and the North won over TV presenter Clare Nasir and Chris Hawkins", Cheshire Life, May 23, 2013
- "BBC – 6music – Chris Hawkins biography". 18 September 2002.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 December 2016. Retrieved 6 March 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)