Hemsworth at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con International
11 August 1983 |
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Residence||Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia|
|Spouse(s)||Elsa Pataky (m. 2010)|
Chris Hemsworth (born 11 August 1983) is an Australian actor. He is best known for his roles as Kim Hyde in the Australian TV series Home and Away (2004) and as Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). He has also appeared in the science fiction action film Star Trek (2009), the thriller adventure A Perfect Getaway (2009), the horror comedy The Cabin in the Woods (2012), the dark fantasy action film Snow White and the Huntsman (2012), the war film Red Dawn (2012) and the biographical sports drama film Rush (2013).
Also in 2015, Hemsworth starred in the action thriller film Blackhat, had a comedic role in the fifth installment of National Lampoon's Vacation series, Vacation, and headlined the biographical thriller film In the Heart of the Sea.
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, to Leonie, an English teacher, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counsellor. He was raised both in Melbourne and in the Australian Outback in Bulman, Northern Territory. He has stated, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there in Bulman with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life." He attended high school at Heathmont College before his family again returned to the Northern Territory, and then moved a few years later to Phillip Island. He is the middle of three boys; his brothers Luke (older) and Liam (younger) are also actors.
In 2004, Hemsworth auditioned for the Australian soap opera Home and Away role of Robbie Hunter (played by Jason Smith), but did not receive the part. He was subsequently recalled for the part of Kim Hyde and moved to Sydney to join the cast, appearing in 171 episodes of the series. He left the cast of Home and Away on 3 July 2007.
Hemsworth was a contestant on the fifth season of Dancing with the Stars Australia, partnered with professional dancer Abbey Ross. The season premiered on 26 September 2006, and after six weeks, Hemsworth was eliminated (7 November 2006).
In 2009, Hemsworth portrayed James T. Kirk's father, George Kirk, in the opening scenes of J. J. Abrams' film Star Trek. He played the character Kale in the thriller A Perfect Getaway the same year. He went on to play Sam in 2010's Ca$h, which was the first film he shot when he arrived in the United States. The film's director, Stephen Milburn Anderson, said Hemsworth had only been in the United States for six weeks when he had auditioned for the role, recalling, "Here's a guy who is young, has the right look, is a very good actor and, let's face it, he's beautiful. So I say, we need to get this guy in. I was very impressed". In November 2010, The Hollywood Reporter named Hemsworth as one of the young male actors who are "pushing – or being pushed" onto the Hollywood "A-List". Sony Pictures announced in 2011 that Hemsworth would star in the thriller Shadow Runner, which did not subsequently go into production as of 2014.
2011–present: Thor and success
He is best known for his role as the Marvel Comics superhero Thor in the 2011 Marvel Studios film Thor. He and castmate Tom Hiddleston, who ultimately played Loki, had each auditioned for the role, for which Hemsworth said he put on 20 pounds of muscle. Hemsworth reprised the role in the 2012 film The Avengers as one of the six superheroes sent to defend Earth from his adopted brother, Loki.
He starred in the horror film The Cabin in the Woods, which was shot shortly after the release of Star Trek but went unreleased until 2012. It led Hemsworth to audition for the role of Thor at Joss Whedon's insistence. Also that year, Hemsworth starred opposite Kristen Stewart in the film Snow White and the Huntsman as the Huntsman. He also played Jed Eckert in the 2012 Red Dawn remake, a role he was cast in after MGM saw dailies footage of a scene from Cabin in the Woods. Hemsworth received the part of Thor two days after being hired for Red Dawn.
In 2013, Hemsworth starred in Ron Howard's sports drama film Rush, alongside Daniel Brühl as 1976 Formula 1 World Champion James Hunt, and reprised his role as Thor, in the sequel Thor: The Dark World. People magazine, in an annual feature, named him its 2014 "Sexiest Man Alive."
In 2015, Hemsworth starred in director Michael Mann's action thriller Blackhat, opposite Viola Davis, and reprised his role of Thor for the fourth time in the sequel to The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Hemsworth returned to the set of Home and Away in November 2014 to film a scene as an extra and not as his character Kim Hyde. He appeared in the episode broadcast on 19 May 2015. Also in 2015, he co-starred in the comedy film Vacation, along with Ed Helms, a revival of the film series that originally starred Chevy Chase. His last 2015 film was In the Heart of the Sea, based on the book of the same name by Nathaniel Philbrick, with Hemsworth playing first mate Owen Chase. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, he revealed that to prepare for the role of starving sailors, the cast was put on a diet of 500–600 calories a day to lose weight.
In the media
An Australian rules football fan, Hemsworth was the star of the Australian Football League's 2014 Everything's Possible campaign. He donated fees for his involvement to the Australian Children Foundation. Hemsworth supports the Western Bulldogs.
Hemsworth began dating Spanish actress Elsa Pataky in early 2010 after meeting through their mutual representatives, and they wed in December 2010. They have three children: daughter India Rose (b. May 2012) and twin sons, Tristan and Sasha (b. March 2014). In 2015 he and his family moved from Los Angeles to Byron Bay in his native Australia, as he no longer needs to be in the United States in order to secure film work.
|2009||Star Trek||George Kirk|
|2009||Perfect Getaway, AA Perfect Getaway||Kale|
|2010||Ollie Klublershturf vs the Nazis||Chad||Short|
|2012||The Cabin in the Woods||Curt Vaughan|
|2012||Snow White and the Huntsman||The Huntsman|
|2012||Red Dawn||Jed Eckert|
|2013||Star Trek Into Darkness||George Kirk||Voice only|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Thor|
|2015||Avengers: Age of Ultron||Thor|
|2015||In the Heart of the Sea||Owen Chase|
|2016||The Huntsman: Winter's War||The Huntsman||Filming|
|2002||Guinevere Jones||King Arthur||2 episodes|
|2002||Neighbours||Jamie Kane||Episode 4,069|
|2002||Marshall Law||The Kid||Episode: "Domestic Bliss"|
|2003||Saddle Club, TheThe Saddle Club||The New Vet||Episode: "Tenderfoot"|
|2004||Fergus McPhail||Craig||Episode: "In a Jam"|
|2004–07||Home and Away||Kim Hyde||185 episodes|
|2006||Dancing with the Stars||Himself/Contestant||5th place|
|2015||Saturday Night Live||Host||"Chris Hemsworth/Zac Brown Band"
"Chris Hemsworth/Chance The Rapper"
|2011||Thor: God of Thunder||Thor|
Awards and nominations
- "Chris Hemsworth Bio". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Thor's Chris Hemsworth Turns a Year Older". People.com (video). 11 August 2011.
...celebrates his 28th
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth Boards Whale of a Tale ‘In The Heart of the Sea’; Will DreamWorks Bite?". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Lovece, Frank (29 September 2011). "Chris Hemsworth: Not a Thor Loser". FilmFestivalTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island' ". Herald Sun. Australia. 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (March 2012). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him". Details. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012.
- "Chris Hemsworth on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Part 1". Jimmy Kimmel Live! via YouTube. 5 May 2011.
- Finke, Nikki (18 May 2009). "More 'Thor': Marvel Studios Casts UK Actor Tom Hiddleston as Villain Loki". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011.
- “”. "The Movie Cash Podcast Series: Casting Chris Hemsworth". Youtube. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- Blank, Emily; Schutte, Lauren (15 November 2010). "Hollywood's A-List Redefined". (slide 4 of 10 in slideshow) The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Kit, Borys (29 June 2011). "Chris Hemsworth to Star in Sony's 'Shadow Runner'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Rosenbaum, Lara. "Chris Hemsworth's Workout". Men's Health. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- McDaniel, Matt (2 May 2012). "'Avengers' star Tom Hiddleston told Chris Hemsworth to really hit him". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on 15 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Kirk, Jeremy; Whedon, Joss (20 September 2012). "34 Things We Learned From 'The Cabin in the Woods' Commentary". FilmSchoolRejects.com. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Flemming, Mike (30 June 2011). "Marvel And Disney Setting 'Thor 2' For Winter 2013; Chris Hemsworth's Back but Kenneth Branagh Won't Return". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Chitwood, Adam (11 July 2011). "Chris Hemsworth in Talks to Play Formula 1 Driver James Hunt in Ron Howard's 'Rush'". Collider.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Fowler, Tara (19 November 2014). "Sexiest Man Alive 2014: Chris Hemsworth: I Learned to Be Sexy from Matt Damon". People. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Travis Reilly (26 July 2014). "Chris Hemsworth First Look on Set of Michael Mann Hacker Thriller ‘Blackhat’ Revealed". The Wrap. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Vejvoda, Jim (29 August 2013). "James Spader to Play Ultron in the Avengers Sequel". IGN. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Chris Hemsworth returns to Summer Bay!". TV Week. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Moran, Jonathon (18 May 2015). "Chris Hemsworth returns to Summer Bay with Home and Away cameo". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Chris Hemsworth & Charlie Day Taking a 'Vacation' with Ed Helms". FirstShowing.net.
- "Chris Hemsworth/Jane's Addiction; Episode #11.69". Jimmy Kimmel Live!. 4 November 2013. ABC.
Jimmy: You're on some crazy diet right now I heard because of this movie you're shooting. Chris: ...and we have to get rather skinny, we're on about 500 or 600 calories a day
- Strom, Marc (28 October 2014). "Thor Brings Ragnarok to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2017". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on 28 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Chitwood, Adam (April 14, 2015). "Chris Hemsworth Reveals the 3 Marvel Movies Left on His Contract". Collider.
- Whiting, Michael (1 March 2014). "Stars on show for AFL's new marketing campaign", Australian Football League. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Beveridge, Riley. "Your AFL club’s most famous supporters, from Barack Obama to Cam Newton". Fox Sports. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Macaluso, Beth Anne (12 June 2012). "Chris Hemsworth's Wife Elsa Pataky Gives Birth to Daughter India!". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Jordan, Julie (28 December 2010). "Thor Star Chris Hemsworth Gets Married". People. Archived from the original on 28 March 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Fleeman, Mike (12 May 2012). "Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky Welcome Daughter India Rose". People. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Mandell, Andrea (21 March 2014). "It's twin boys for Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky!". USA Today.
- "Still calls Australia home! Chris Hemsworth moves his family Down Under permanently as he no longer needs to be based in Los Angeles to secure work". Daily Mail. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Kehagias, Melissa (27 September 2014). "Chris Hemsworth has bought himself a $7 million Byron Bay home". The Sunday Telegraph (Australia). Retrieved 23 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Hemsworth.|
- Chris Hemsworth at the Internet Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at the TCM Movie Database
- Chris Hemsworth at AllMovie
|Saturday Night Live host
March 7, 2015