Christopher Horace Hewitt (born July 22, 1974) is a former National Football League defensive back who is currently the secondary coach of the Baltimore Ravens.Hewitt played professionally for three seasons with the New Orleans Saints. After eight seasons on the coaching staff of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team, Hewitt was the special teams coach for the Baltimore Ravens and was the assistant secondary coach for the 2014 season.
Hewitt was born in Kingston, Jamaica and grew up in Englewood, New Jersey, where he attended Dwight Morrow High School before playing for the Cincinnati Bearcats football team at the collegiate level. Hewitt's 31.50 kickoff return average in the 1993 season ranks second on the all-time rankings for the Cincinnati Bearcats, while his 742 career kickoff return yards rank ninth and his 28.54 career yards per kickoff returns place him first on the school's rankings.
Hewitt played as a defensive back and on special teams for the New Orleans Saints in 1997, starting two games and finishing the season with 12 tackles and a fumble recovery as a defensive back. In 1998 he again started two games and had 9 tackles and two sacks. In his third and final season with the Saints, Hewitt was limited to one tackle and a sack.
He joined the coaching staff at Rutgers under Greg Schiano, where he spent eight years, including as running backs coach and defensive backs coach. As part of the NFL's Minority Coaching Fellowship Program, Hewitt worked on the staffs of the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles, as well as the Ravens, who hired him in February 2012 as the team's assistant special teams coach. Hewitt was brought into the Ravens by head coach John Harbaugh, who had been Hewitt's special teams coach when he was playing at the age of 17 as a freshman at the University of Cincinnati; Hewitt was also part of the Ravens coaching staff for the Raven's victory at Super Bowl XLVII in 2013, which was played in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, where Hewitt played in the NFL with the Saints.
- Jeff Zrebiec, "Ravens finalize coaching staff, promoting five assistants"," The Baltimore Sun (January 28, 2015). Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Chris Hewitt, Pro-Football-Reference.com. Accessed February 1, 2013.
- Kickoff Returns, Cincinnati Bearcats football. Accessed February 1, 2013.
- Rowe, John. "Chris Hewitt leaves Rutgers for NFL", The Record (Bergen County), February 14, 2012. Accessed February 1, 2013.
- Stapleton, Art. "Englewood's Chris Hewitt heads to Super Bowl with the Ravens", The Record (Bergen County), January 31, 2013. Accessed February 1, 2013.