Chris Hill (rugby league)
|Full name||Christopher Hill|
3 November 1987 |
Wigan, Greater Manchester, England
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||107 kg (16 st 12 lb)|
As of 13 November 2016
Christopher "Chris" Hill is a professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for Warrington Wolves in the Super League. He previously played for Leigh in the Championship. He is by preference a Prop.
Hill signed for Leigh from local Wigan amateur club New Springs Lions in 2004, and started his career as a stand-off or loose forward before moving to prop, progressing through Leigh's service area, scholarship and youth ranks before making his first senior appearance for Leigh in the 2005 Super League X season, during a 74-8 loss to St. Helens.
Hill accumulated a couple of accolades with Leigh; firstly in reaching 100 appearances for the club, and also being the most recent prop-forward for Leigh to score a hat-trick of tries. After missing only one game in two years, he was made captain of Leigh in 2010.
Move to Warrington
In 2011, Hill's impressive displays in the Championship saw him earn a three-year deal with Warrington in Super League, which saw him join the Warrington squad in 2012, remaining with Leigh on a dual registration until the end of the 2011 season. In light of this, his then-coach Ian Millward predicted future national caps for Hill, with his nurturing at Warrington.
|“||I am delighted for Chris. As the fans will testify he has developed all season and is ready for Super League. It would not surprise me if in due course he won national recognition.||”|
At the end of Hill's first season with Warrington, Chris was named as player of the season, players’ player of the season and won the Vice President’s award, thus taking each of the major accolades at the Warrington end of season awards night.
In 2016, Hill was named club captain of the Wolves. This was a successful year overall for the Wolves under Hill, as they reached both finals and won their first piece of silverware since 2016, when they won the League Leaders Shield, the second time in the clubs history. Hill was named in the Dream team for the season, and was also the Top Metre Maker of the season. He was rewarded for this amazing season with a contract extension with the club, which will keep him with the wolves until at least November 2021
In October and November 2013, Chris played in all 5 England matches of the Rugby League World Cup.
At the end of the 2014 domestic season, Chris traveled Down Under as part of the England national rugby league team's Four Nations squad.
In the 2015 International period, Chris was selected in Steve McNamara's 24-man squad to take on New Zealand up in England in a test-series. Before the series began England played a test match against France. Chris was part of the team that demolished the 'Les Tricolores'.
The following year, Hill was selected in England's 24-man squad for the 2016 Four Nations.
- "Player Profile Chris Hill". http://www.rugby-league.com/england. The Rugby Football League. 2015. Retrieved 2 August 2016. External link in
- "Northern Rail Match Review". www.northernrail.org. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "rleague.com profile". rleague.com. 2010-04-06. Archived from the original on 2012-06-17. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "Hill agrees Warrington switch". superleague.co.uk. 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "bbc.co.uk Rugby League Challenge Cup match report". bbc.co.uk. 2012-08-25. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Chris is king of the Hills". warringtonguardian.co.uk. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "MCNAMARA NAMES 24-MAN SQUAD FOR 2015 INTERNATIONAL SERIES". englandrl.co.uk. 2015-10-11. Retrieved 2015-10-24.
- "England demolish France 84-4 in record win". Skysports.com. Retrieved 24 October 2015.