Chris King (entrepreneur)
- For other people named Chris King, see Chris King.
Thomas Christopher King|
October 18, 1978
Orlando, Florida, U.S.
Harvard University (BA)|
University of Florida (JD)
Thomas Christopher King (born October 18, 1978) is an American politician and entrepreneur who founded the Elevation Financial Group and currently is a board member of Grace Medical Home. He was a Democratic candidate for Governor of Florida in the 2018 election, finishing in fifth place. After the primary election, Democratic nominee Andrew Gillum selected King as his running mate for Lieutenant Governor.
Chris King was born to David and Marilyn King. His father was a lawyer for the Fair Districts movement, which worked to combat partisan gerrymandering in Florida by proving that the Constitution of Florida was violated by the Florida Legislature when it redrew congressional and Florida Senate district lines. Chris' mother, Marilyn King, served 27 years as a board member, including two terms as chair, of Orlando's premier health organization, Orlando Health. Marilyn was also the founding Chair of Grace Medical Home, a not-for-profit medical facility that serves those without affordable health care. Chris served on both the Board of Grace Medical Home and on the Foundation Board of Orlando Health.
He is currently a board member of the non-profit Grace Medical Home which provides medical care to uninsured Floridians. He is also the chairman of The Elevation Foundation.
King founded the Elevation Scholars Program which works with the University of Central Florida and Orange County Public Schools to provide merit scholarships to students from Title I schools. King also developed the Elevation Global Initiative, which works on tree reforestation, fish farming and entrepreneurship training in Haiti and areas of Africa..
He founded Elevation Financial Group, LLC which specializes in real estate investment, property management and property renovation. The group launched six private equity funds. Currently, Elevation owns and operate assets in five states in the US.
King was a Democratic candidate in the 2018 Florida gubernatorial race. He ran against former U.S. Representative Gwen Graham (a daughter of Governor Bob Graham), Philip Levine, former Mayor of Miami Beach, Andrew Gillum, Mayor of Tallahassee and billionaire real estate developer Jeff Greene. King was the first gubernatorial candidate to promise to refuse to accept campaign contributions from the Florida sugar industry. King's polling average was about 4.5%. Following his election defeat, King congratulated and endorsed Andrew Gillum for governor. On September 6, 2018, Andrew Gillum announced Chris King as his selection for Lieutenant Governor.
- "Vol 1 Issue 3" (PDF). www.chrisdarbyministries.org.
- Group, Elevation Financial. "T. Christopher King, Esq. - Elevation Financial Group". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Chris King staffs up for tough governor's race". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Press, The Associated. "Orlando businessman Chris King running for Florida governor". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Williams, James (14 April 2017). "Democrat Chris King talks about why he should Florida's next governor". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Lemongello, Steven. "Chris King hires veteran campaign staff in run for Florida governor". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Press, BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated. "Florida governor's race: Dem. Andrew Gillum chooses Chris King as running mate, GOP's Ron DeSantis picks Jeanette Nunez".
- "On the road with Chris King, Democratic candidate for governor". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Here's what Chris King wants to do as governor". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate - Christopher King". www.ourcampaigns.com.
- Mueller, Paul (21 May 2017). "Democrat Chris King discusses run for Florida governor". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Chris King says uncontested Republican rule has failed Florida's working families - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "First Chris King campaign video mocks Rick Scott's jobs record - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Twitter welcomes Democratic gubernatorial candidate Chris King - Florida Politics". floridapolitics.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- [dead link]
|Party political offices|
| Democratic nominee for Lieutenant Governor of Florida