Chris Lowney (born 1958) is a writer, public speaker, and leadership consultant. He chairs the board of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of America's largest healthcare/hospital systems. He was formerly a managing director of JP Morgan.
Born in New York City, Lowney attended Regis High School, a Jesuit institution in Manhattan, and then entered a Jesuit seminary. He completed a B.A. in History and an M.A. in Philosophy at Fordham University (both in 1981) and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He left the Jesuit seminary in 1983 and worked at JP Morgan from 1983 to 2001. At Morgan, he was an investment banker to Fortune 1000 companies and, later, a managing director in Tokyo and Singapore, where he served on Morgan's Asia-Pacific management committee. Later, as a managing director in London, he served on Morgan's Europe, Mideast, and Africa management committee.
After leaving Morgan in 2001, Lowney authored four books. He has delivered talks and conferences on leadership, decision-making, and business ethics throughout the U.S. and in Spain, France, Australia, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Indonesia, and many other countries.
Since 2013, he has been chair of the board of Catholic Health Initiatives, America's second largest not-for-profit hospital/healthcare system with more than 80 hospitals and $10.7 Billion in annual revenues.
Lowney is the author of:
- Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company that Changed the World (Loyola Press, 2003); number-one ranked bestseller of the CBPA and has been translated into eleven languages
- A Vanished World: Muslims, Christians, and Jews in Medieval Spain (Free Press, 2005; Oxford University Press, 2006); nominated for La Corónica award.
- Heroic Living: Discover Your Purpose and Change the World (2010)
- Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads (2013)
- Everyone Leads: How to Revitalize the Catholic Church (2017)
- Make Today Matter: 10 Habits for a Better Life (and World) (2018) won a 2018 Independent Press Award as a Distinguished Favorite in the Inspiration category
He was named a miembro honorario del claustro at Peru's Universidad del Pacifico, was 2009 commencement speaker at the Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines, and delivered the 2012 JRD Tata Oration at XLRI in India.
Social entrepreneurship and charitable efforts
Lowney founded Pilgrimage for Our Children's Future, which funds education and healthcare projects in the developing world. He helped launch Jesuit Commons-Higher Education at the Margins, which offers university-level education in refugee camps. He conceived and co-founded Contemplative Leaders in Action, a young adult leadership formation program active in seven cities.
- Eileen Wirth, They Made All the Difference: Life-Changing Stories from Jesuit High Schools (Chicago: Loyola Press, 2007), 29
- "The Secrets of Jesuit Leadership". Knolwdge@Wharton. June 1, 2005. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- "Chris Lowney: Self-awareness, heroism, ingenuity and love are the four pillars of successful leadership". esade.edu. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Speaker: Chris Lowney". thesydneyinstitute.com.au. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Conferencia – Chris Lowney: "¿Qué pueden aprender los líderes del siglo XXI de los jesuitas del siglo XVI?". isede.edu.uy. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Conferencistas: Chris Lowney". wujacongress2013.com. Archived from the original on May 14, 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Board of Stewardship Trustees". catholichealthinit.org. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "25 Largest Nonprofit Hospital Systems". beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Overview Brochure" (PDF). catholichealthinit.org. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Nirenberg, David. "A Vanished World: Muslims, Christians, and Jews in Medieval Spain (review)". Common Knowledge. 14 (1, Winter 2008): 153. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Loarie, Thomas. "Book Review: Heroic Living". Catholic Business Journal. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- McGregor, Jena (September 21, 2015). "Six things you should read to understand Pope Francis". Washington Post. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- "2018 Distinguished Favorites". Independent Press Award. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- "Commencement 2009 split between two weekends, May 9" (PDF). gonzaga.edu. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Saint Louis University to Celebrate Commencement May 20 at Savvis Center". slu.edu. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Bestselling Author to Be Honored at New Student Convocation". scranton.edu. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Historias de líderes: Chris Lowney". organizados.wordpress.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Blair, Lowney in Pre-Sesqui events: Ateneo lines up special events to mark sesquicentennial". philstar.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Press Release XLRI Holds its 'JRD Ethics Oration 2012'" (PDF). xlri.ac.in. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Our History". pocf.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "About Us". jc-hem.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Contemplative Leaders in Action". jesuit-collaborative.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.