Chris Miller (animator)
1967/1968 (age 47–48)
|Occupation||Actor, voice actor, animator, director, screenwriter|
|Notable work||Shrek the Third
Puss in Boots
Christopher "Chris" Miller is an American voice actor, animator, director, screenwriter, and storyboard artist. He is most famous for directing Shrek the Third and Puss in Boots (for which he received his first Academy Award nomination), and for voicing Kowalski the penguin in the Madagascar film series.
He studied animation at the California Institute of Arts.
Miller joined DreamWorks Animation in 1998 as a storyboard artist for the studio's first animated comedy, Antz. Miller, again working as a story artist for Shrek, also wrote additional dialogue and provided the voice of the Magic Mirror and Geppetto characters for the film. He then served as head of story for Shrek 2. Mr. Miller went on to co-direct Shrek the Third along with Raman Hui, writing the screenplay for the film, and providing the voice of the puppet master and the mascot. He also provided the voice for Kowalski in Madagascar (and its video game), The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Merry Madagascar and Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
Miller has worked on a wide array of features, commercials, videos and internet projects, including a short for Steven Spielberg entitled "Steven's Dream". His commercial work includes spots for Coca-Cola, Canon, The Comedy Channel and Fila, for which he won a Clio Award for best animated commercial.
In an interview with Robert K. Elder for The Film That Changed My Life, Miller attributes his success in film to Sleeper. "I would be penniless and drunk on the corner, begging for cash, if I had not seen the film Sleeper. I guarantee you."
Miller is also a longtime collaborator with the Helios Dance Theater, for which he has created sets, films and projections on numerous occasions. His wife Laura Gorenstein Miller, is the founder and director of that same company. Chris and Laura also collaborated on Puss in Boots, for which Laura worked as a dance choreographer.
|1988||The Thing What Lurked in the Tub||Lugmeyer|
|Lea Press on Limbs||Director|
|1989||The Cellar||Willy Cashen|
|1992||Cool World||Key clean-up artist|
|1997||Officer Buckle and Gloria||Storyboard artist|
|2001||Shrek||Geppetto, Magic Mirror||Story artist/additional dialogue|
|2003||Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas||Tower Guard||Additional story artist|
|2004||Shrek 2||Humphries, Magic Mirror||Head of story/additional dialogue|
|2007||Shrek the Third||Puppet Master, Announcer, Mascot, Singing Villain||Director/screenplay|
|Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa||Kowalski|
|2009||Monsters vs. Aliens||Advisor Cole, Army Commander Jones||Additional story artist|
|2010||Shrek Forever After||Royal Messenger, Magic Mirror, Geppetto|
|2011||Puss in Boots||Little Boy Blue, Friar Miller, Prison Guard, Manual, Rafael||Director|
|2012||Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted||Kowalski|
|2013||Turbo||Tour Bus Driver|
|2014||Penguins of Madagascar||Kowalski|
|2016||The Angry Birds Movie||Construction Pig|
|TBA||Puss in Boots 2: Nine Lives & 40 Thieves||Director|
|2007||Shrek the Halls||Dialogue director|
|2009, 2013||Merry Madagascar||Kowalski|
|2013||Phineas and Ferb||Additional Voices|
- Belloni, Matthew (December 22, 2011). "THR's Animation Roundtable: 7 Top Filmmakers Debate R-Rated Toons and If 'Tintin' Should Be Eligible for Ani Oscar". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "Shrek the Third: Creative Team". Emanuel Levy. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- Chris Miller (VII) at the Internet Movie Database
- Miller, Chris. Interview by Robert K. Elder. The Film That Changed My Life. By Robert K. Elder. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 2011. N. p244. Print.
- "Directors Bio". Helios Dance Theater. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- skwiglymagazine (November 13, 2012). "Puss in Boots - Dance Off Scene 2011 - UK release (HD)". YouTube. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- Chitwood, Adam (November 12, 2012). "Guillermo del Toro Talks PUSS IN BOOTS 2, KUNG FU PANDA 3 & TROLLHUNTERS; Says PANDA 3 Has the "Most Formidable Villain in the Series"". Collider.com. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
We take Puss to a completely different land which is very exotic. When Chris (Miller), the director, said 'I don't want Puss to happen in the same universe as the Shrek movies visually, I want to do a spaghetti western,' he is, in this case, trying to do an adventure movie so we're taking him to a very exotic locale.
- "DreamWorks Animation Release Dates Include Madagascar 4". Collider.com. June 12, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Miller.|