Chris Nelson (baseball)
Nelson with the Colorado Rockies
September 3, 1985 |
|June 19, 2010 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||100|
Christopher Lars Nelson (born September 3, 1985) is an American professional baseball infielder in the Washington Nationals organization. Nelson has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Colorado Rockies from 2010 through 2013, New York Yankees in 2013, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2013 and the San Diego Padres in 2014.
The Colorado Rockies selected Nelson in the first round, with the ninth overall selection, of the 2004 amateur entry draft, and received the third largest signing bonus in Rockies history. In July 2007, while playing for the Modesto Nuts, Nelson was named Rockies Farm Player of the Month.
On September 9, 2010, Nelson stole home plate against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Nick Masset, scoring what would be the deciding run in the Rockies' victory, their seventh straight. It was Nelson's first career stolen base, and the first time he had stolen home plate at any level.
Though he struggled at the MLB level during the 2011 season, Nelson was announced as the third base starter along with Jordan Pacheco during Spring Training in 2012. He was designated for assignment on April 28, 2013.
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On May 18, 2013, Nelson was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was designated for assignment on June 10, 2013, and accepted an assignment to the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees on June 13. Following the trade of Alberto Callaspo on July 31, Nelson's contract was selected from Salt Lake. On August 15, he hit his first career grand slam against Yankees reliever Boone Logan. After the season, Nelson was non-tendered by the Angels, making him a free agent.
San Diego Padres
On June 19, 2014, Nelson signed a minor league deal with the San Diego Padres. On July 18, 2014, Nelson was called up from Triple-A El Paso and made his Padres debut against the New York Mets, going 2-4 with 2 RBI. He was designated for assignment on September 2, 2014. Nelson elected free agency in October 2014.
Nelson signed a minor league deal with the Philadelphia Phillies on November 25, 2014.
Nelson signed a minor league deal with the Milwaukee Brewers on May 9, 2015. And he was released in June 17, 2015.
Nelson signed a minor league deal with the Washington Nationals on June 21, 2015.
Awards and honors
|2008||AFL Rising Stars|
|2007||Baseball America High Class A All-Star|
|2007||CAL Post-Season All-Star|
|2006||SAL Mid-Season All-Star|
- "Rockies select Nelson in first round: High school shortstop taken ninth overall in 2004 First-Year Player Draft". colorado.rockies.mlb.com. June 7, 2004. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- Ringolsby, Tracy (February 11, 2005). "Top Ten Prospects: Colorado Rockies". Baseball America. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- Weiss, Brad (August 2, 2007). "Rockies Farm Player of the Month". scout.com. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- "Troy Tulowitzki placed on DL". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 1, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Rockies sweep Reds for seventh straight win". ESPN.com. September 9, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Harding, Thomas (April 28, 2013). "Prospect Arenado ready to face high expectations". MLB.com. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Yankees acquire infielder Chris Nelson from Rockies". USA Today. Associated Press. May 2, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Yankees call up INF David Adams, cut Chris Nelson". Associated Press. May 15, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Short, D.J. (May 18, 2013). "Angels claim infielder Chris Nelson off waivers from the Yankees". NBC Sports. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Angels activate OF Peter Bourjos". ESPN.com. June 11, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- O'Bannon, Whitney (June 22, 2013). "Angels prospect Chris Nelson bumped between teams, but not giving up the Major League dream". Deseret News. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Boor, William (August 2, 2013). "Nelson making most of opportunity at third base". MLB.com. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Chris Nelson homers twice as Angels hold off Alfonso Soriano, Yankees". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 15, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Gonzalez, Alden (December 2, 2013). "Angels non-tender Williams, Hanson, two others". MLB.com. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract". Boston Herald. Associated Press. January 28, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Todd, Jeff (June 16, 2014). "Reds Release Chris Nelson After He Exercises Opt-Out". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "Padres call up Chris Nelson from Triple-A". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 18, 2014. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Richer, Tim. "Padres Look to Start Post Street Era Strong". friarsonbase.com. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Laws, Will (July 18, 2014). "Padres call up infielder Nelson from Triple-A El Paso". padres.com. MLB.com. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Chris Nelson on Twitter
- MiLB.com player profile