Chris Oliver (surgeon)
Christopher William Oliver
Forest Gate, London, England
|Alma mater||University College Hospital, University College London|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh, Napier University|
Chris Oliver Edinburgh orthopaedic surgeon/professor. King James IV Professor Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2019-20. Associate Research Fellow, School of Engineering and Built Environment, Transport Research Institute, Edinburgh Napier University 2018-. Honorary Professor in Physical Activity for Health at the Physical Activity for Health Research Centre, University of Edinburgh 2015-2018. Consultant Trauma Orthopaedic and Hand Surgeon at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh 1997-2017.
Oliver retired in 2018 from the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh as a Consultant Trauma Orthopaedic Surgeon in the Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University of Edinburgh. Career was profiled by the British Medical Journal, Careers in July 2018.
Between 2015-2018 he was honorary Professor of Physical Activity for Health to Physical Activity for Health Research Centre (PAHRC) at the University of Edinburgh.
In October 2016, along with other academics, he signed a letter to the Medical Schools Council and the General Medical Council to highlight the lack of lifestyle education in undergraduate medical curricula across the United Kingdom.
Oliver gained excessive weight during his adult life and at his heaviest was 171 kg (27 stone). In February 2007 he had a LapBand fitted laparascopically and by 2011 his weight reduced to 102 kg (12 stone). In 2014 the band snapped and it was later removed. In November 2020 he had an endoscopic gastric bypass.
- "Awards and Medals | The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh". The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- yvonnelawrie (4 February 2019). "Chris Oliver - appointed Associate Research Fellow at TRI". Transport Research Institute. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- "Chris Oliver, University of Edinburgh Research Explorer". University of Edinburgh. University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Edinburgh Research Explorer: Development of surface electromyographic spectral analysis techniques for assessing paraspinal muscle function". www.research.ed.ac.uk. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- "Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma - The University of Edinburgh". ed.ac.uk. 18 July 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- O’Dowd, Adrian (31 May 2018). "Chris Oliver: from orthopaedic surgeon to fitness professor". BMJ. 361: k1768. doi:10.1136/bmj.k1768. ISSN 0959-8138. PMID 29853632.
- "Honorary Professor: Chris Oliver" (Press release). University of Edinburgh. 16 October 2015. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- Campbell, Denis (19 October 2016). "Doctors 'know too little about nutrition and exercise'". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- Buchan, Lizzy (19 October 2016). "Future doctors need training on exercise and nutrition". The Scotsman. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- "Christopher W Oliver (The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh) on ResearchGate - Expertise: Teacher Education, Curriculum Theory, Adult Education". researchgate.net.
- "Prof Christopher W Oliver (0000-0003-1331-6429) - ORCID - Connecting Research and Researchers". orcid.org. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- Thomas, William; Reed, Malcolm W. R.; Wyatt, Michael G. (July 2016). Oxford Textbook of Fundamentals of Surgery. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/med/9780199665549.001.0001. ISBN 978-0199665549.
- "Tipping the scales: Edinburgh surgeon fights off 'super-obesity'". The Scotsman. 14 April 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- "The Road to Fitness". Surgeon's News. Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (September 2017): 34–35.
- Oliver, Chris (18 July 2013). "From Los Angeles to Boston: an epic ride across the United States". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 December 2017.