Chris Pitman performing with Guns N' Roses in 2006
February 25, 1961 |
Independence, Missouri, USA
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative rock, alternative metal, electronica, experimental rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, audio programmer|
|Instruments||synthesizers, sampler, keytar, guitar, drums, vocals|
|Associated acts||SexTapes, Guns N' Roses, Lusk, Replicants, ZAUM, Tool, Blinker the Star|
Chris Pitman (born February 25, 1961) is an American musician best known for his involvement with the hard rock band Guns N' Roses. A multi-instrumentalist, Pitman is known to play keyboards, guitar and drums, in addition to his role as a lead or backing vocalist. Pitman currently fronts alternative rock band SexTapes and performs with Guns N' Roses, and previously worked with such bands as Lusk, Replicants and Tool.
Pitman studied at the Art Institute of Kansas City and the University of Missouri. In 1993, Pitman worked with the controversial artist Les Levine. The following year, Pitman worked with Dr. Dre in Dre's home studio. He also joined Tool on tour and played synth on Tool's album Ænima. In 1995, he appeared on the album Bourgeois Kitten by Blinker the Star.
Pitman was co-founder of Los Angeles-based art coalition 'Priory of the North,' which focuses on conceptual/public art and works primarily with oil painting, lithography, oils, and metal. His Land/Environment projects have been onsite in various Midwest regional farmland sites in Lafayette County and Johnson County, Missouri. His Rio de Janeiro site-specific work titled "Mind/Land" has been delayed until permits and visas for such materials can be imported. This work has been in progress since 2003.
Guns N' Roses
In early 1998, Pitman joined Guns N' Roses as the band's second keyboardist and second bass player as well as performing backing vocals; he helped the band make a complete finalized new lineup. He has been a member of Guns N' Roses ever since and was featured on keyboards on the non-album single "Oh My God" in 1999 and on every song on the long-delayed sixth studio album Chinese Democracy. On the record Pitman plays mostly keyboards and sub-bass as well as programming and background vocals, he plays a 12-string guitar on "If The World" and a Mellotron on "There Was A Time". He also co-wrote the songs "If The World" and "Madagascar" alongside frontman Axl Rose. It was also confirmed by Axl Rose during a Guns N' Roses performance at Rock In Rio 3 that he and the band's other keyboardist Dizzy Reed are the songwriters and composers of the unreleased, performed live track "Silkworms" which Pitman confirmed is just a demo that didn't make the cut on the album. Pitman has performed live with Guns N' Roses since their comeback concert in January 2001 and alongside Tommy Stinson, he has been one of the longest members to remain. Pitman filled in for Stinson on bass in a 2007 show that Stinson was unable to attend.
Chris Pitman has collaborated with a number of well-known acts, as well as founding a number of experimental projects.
- XR4 - Vocals, electronics in 1982.
- Replicants (BMG/Zoo) - Record of cover material by Pitman, Ken Andrews, Greg Edwards, and Paul D'amour.
- ZAUM - guitar, electronics, and lead vocals with Danny Carey of Tool, and Marko Fox of SexTapesTM.
- Tool (BMG/Zoo) - In 1994/95, Pitman toured with them and, in 1996, played synths on the song "Third Eye".
- Failure - Contributed sound effects and sound mixing.
- Lusk (BMG/Zoo) - Recording, production, mixing, mastering, lead vocals, multi-instrumentation in this Grammy-nominated band in 1996-97.
- Sony Panic (DogFight) - Guitar and live software management with this L.A. experimental/improvisational band in 1997.
- Blinker the Star (A&M & Dreamworks) - Contributed keyboards to the song "Kween Kat" of the album Bourgeois Kitten in 1996. Co-wrote the single "Below the Sliding Doors" in 1998.
- Savvy Soviets - Production/collaboration in Rio de Janeiro in 2003.
- Electric Company (Tigerbeat6) - Synthesizer on the album Creative Playthings. Played live with this Brad Laner electronic music project in 2004.
- The Source of Uncertainty - Recording with Danny Carey and others in 2008.
- SexTapes - Working with Kelly Wheeler, Marko Fox, and Ryan Brown starting in 2006.
- Guns N' Roses - In 1998, Pitman joined this hard rock band as songwriter, co-producer, and instrumentalist.
- BEATRAZR EDM music project with Frank Ferrer.
Pitman has also done sound design and electronic work for Arturia software synthesizers, A Designs Audio [Peter Montessi], Waves Plugins, Waldorf Synthesizers, Apple's Logic Audio, Digidesign Plugins, Moog Synthesizers, Celemony's Melodyne, Ableton Live, Roland USA, Korg Music, Serge Synthesis [SMS], PlanB Synthesis [Peter Grenader], [Axel Hartmann] Neuron Synthesis, and Symbolic Sounds Kyma, Mandala Drums, Steven Slate Drums, Native Instruments.
- SexTapes: On ToneRiot Records 2008. Lead Vocals, multi-instrumentalist, Producer, with Kelly Wheeler (Guitars), Marko Fox (Bass), Ryan Brown (Drums) recorded at The Pass Studios (Hollywood).
- Source of Uncertainty: Recording in 2007 - with Danny Carey (multi-instrumental). An Experimental project involving only pre-1960s devices.