Official Parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Member of Parliament |
for Vale of Clwyd
|Assumed office |
8 June 2017
|Preceded by||James Davies|
1 May 1997 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Constituency created|
|Succeeded by||James Davies|
|Born||18 July 1958|
Rhyl, Flintshire, Wales
Ruane attended Ysgol Mair Roman Catholic primary school in Rhyl. He then went to the Blessed Edward Jones Catholic High School (three years above Carol Vorderman) on Cefndy Road in Rhyl, then in Flintshire, later Clwyd and since 1996 in Denbighshire. At the University of Wales College, Aberystwyth, he gained a BSc in Economics in 1979. From the University of Liverpool he gained a PGCE in 1980. He was a town councillor from 1988 and the Chairman of West Clwyd NUT region.
He was a primary school teacher from 1982–97, and a deputy head from 1991–7.
He contested Clwyd North West in 1992.
In 2003 Ruane voted in favour of the Iraq War.
He won Vale of Clwyd back at the 2017 general election.
In October 2012, the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, blocked the release of data showing which MPs were renting their homes in London to other MPs for financial gain. However, a study of parliamentary records was published in the Daily Telegraph. The study showed that 27 MPS, including Chris Ruane receive rental income from their homes in London while simultaneously claiming rental income from the taxpayer to live at another residence. Ruane owns two flats in London which he bought though use of parliamentary expenses.
Ruane claimed £1,906 a month for his London flat. He has two children and his eldest daughter turned 18 in November 2012. He also owns a flat about three minutes’ walk away. He said: "I have acted completely within the rules."
- Commons, House of. "House of Commons - The Register of Members' Financial Interests - Part 2: Part 2".
- "Catholic MPs urge Pope Francis to allow ordination of married men – CatholicHerald.co.uk".
- "Chris Ruane MP". UK Parliament.
- Ruane, Christopher Shaun. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2018 (February 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 February 2018. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Wales - MP Ruane steps down over Trident".
- "General Election: Ex-Labour Clwyd MPs bid for Commons return".
- "Expenses scandal: 27 MPs let one home and claim for another".
- "News: The latest North Wales news from the Daily Post".
- Bryant, By Holly Watt, Claire Newell, Charles Young and Ben. "MPs use children to claim more expenses".
- Chris Ruane MP official constituency website
- Chris Ruane MP[permanent dead link] Welsh Labour Party profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Contributions in Parliament during 2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 at Hansard Archives
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament for Vale of Clwyd
| Member of Parliament for Vale of Clwyd