Chris Smith (footballer, born 1988)
|Full name||Chris Smith|
|Date of birth||31 August 1988|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2013||→ Ayr United (loan)||14||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:02, 17 January 2017 (UTC).
Smith started his career in the youth teams of Partick Thistle and Rangers before making his first senior appearances in the Scottish Football League with Greenock Morton. He also played for Dumbarton and Ayr United, Stirling Albion and had a short spell at Falkirk.Dundee United F.C.
Smith made his league debut against QOS on 13 September 2008, at Palmerston Park, Dumfries, and his full debut the week previously in the Challenge Cup quarter-final against the same opposition. In his first four league games, he played as the left-back in a back four, alongside Ryan Harding, Dominic Shimmin and Alex Walker.
At the beginning of 2009, Smith was given a contract extension until the end the season. This was despite his howler against Airdrie United a few days earlier, which saw him axed from the first team squad against Partick Thistle on 30 December. Smith was released in May 2009, after being dropped for the last month of the season. After his release from Cappielow, Smith went on trial at Blue Square Premier favourites Wrexham.
In 2010, Chris Smith left Dumbarton, to join fellow Second Division club, Ayr United. In the 2010–11 season, Smith scored only once, away to Alloa Athletic, United lost 4–1. In the following season Smith scored two goals: The winner against St Mirren in the Quarter-Finals of the League Cup at St Mirren Park and the winner only four days later in a 3–2 victory for Ayr United against Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park in the League.
Smith first played 45 minutes for The Binos in a 2–0 friendly win against Airdrieonians. The following Saturday, he played the full game against former club Falkirk, a match which ended in a 1–1 draw. On the same day, Stiring Albion announced that Smith had signed a one-year contract that would keep him at the Forthbank Stadium until at least June 2014.
Smith agreed a one-year contract with Clyde. He made his debut for clyde against Livingston in the Scottish Cup getting beat 2-1 away. 1st of Aug 2015 he made his league debut in a 1-0 away win against his former club Stirling Albion. Smith scored his first goal for Clyde against Arbroath the winner in a 1-0 win in Angus. He was voted fans player of the season 2015/16.
- "Player News". gmfc.net. 5 September 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- "Morton sign ex-Ibrox player Smith". BBC Sport. 5 September 2008. Retrieved 1 October 2008.
- "Morton 0–0 Queen of the South". BBC Sport. 13 September 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- "Queen of the South 0–2 Morton". BBC Sport. 7 September 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- "New Deal for Morton's Chris Smith". Daily Record. 1 January 2009. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Walker, Wake get new deals for a season". Greenock Telegraph. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2009.
- "Trialist Hedi Taboubi impresses for Wrexham FC". Daily Post (North Wales). 14 July 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "SONS SIGN TWO". dumbartonfootballclub.com. 3 August 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "New Signings / New Captains". AyrUnitedFC.co.uk. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Alloa Athletic 4–1 Ayr United". BBC Sport. 11 September 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "St Mirren vs. Ayr United Match Report". AyrUnitedFC.co.uk. 26 October 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Hamilton Accies vs. Ayr United Match Report". AyrUnitedFC.co.uk. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Defender signs for Bairns". Falkirk F.C. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Junior Returns". Ayr United F.C. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Chris Smith departs on loan". Falkirk F.C. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.