|San Francisco Giants – No. 34|
August 22, 1990 |
|May 30, 2016, for the San Francisco Giants|
(through September 17, 2017)
|Earned run average||3.88|
Stratton attended Mississippi State University from 2010 to 2012. As a senior, he was a consensus All-American after going 11–2 with a 2.38 earned run average and 127 strikeouts. He was also the SEC Pitcher of the Year. He also won the Ferriss Trophy as Mississippi's top collegiate baseball player.
Stratton was called up from the Sacramento River Cats (AAA-Pacific Coast League) to the majors on May 28, 2016, to replace the injured Matt Cain. Despite being primarily a starter in the minors, the Giants added Stratton to their bullpen and he made his major league debut against the Atlanta Braves on May 30, pitching a scoreless bottom of the eighth inning and recording two strikeouts while retiring all three batters he faced. On June 11, he was credited with his first major league win as he pitched the top of the 10th inning in the Giants victory against the Los Angeles Dodgers. On June 13 he was sent down again when Cain returned from the DL, but was recalled from the minors the following day when Cain was put back on the DL with a reinjured hamstring. Stratton pitched in seven games for the Giants with a 1-0 record and a 3.60 ERA. He compiled a 12-6 record and a 3.87 ERA during the year for the Sacramento River Cats.
- "Chris Stratton: MSU's First Consensus All-American Since 1985". Hailstate.com. June 29, 2012. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Mississippi (May 29, 2012). "Mississippi State's Chris Stratton named SEC pitcher of the year". Blog.gulflive.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "C Spire Ferriss Trophy…through the years". msfame.com. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- "Giants pick up versatile pitcher in Draft". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "2012 first-rounder Chris Stratton hospitalized after being hit by liner". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Baggarly, Andy (January 30, 2013). "Baseball America Giants top 2013 prospects". Baseballamerica.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Giants add eight pitchers to 40-man roster
- "Giants place right-hander Matt Cain, who had been placed on the 15-day disabled list". ESPN.com. May 28, 2016. Retrieved June 2, 2016.
- Schulman, Henry (May 30, 2016). "Giants’ Chris Stratton impresses with scoreless inning in debut". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 2, 2016.
- Chiarelli, Mark. "Stratton hangs tough after HR, earns 1st win". MLB.com. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Schulman, Henry. "Giants add an infielder for depth, Cain’s return, Braun rumors and lineup". sfgate.com. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Giants put Matt Cain back on DL with same hamstring suffered another hamstring strain". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 14, 2016.