Chris Taylor (game designer)
|Occupation||Head of Wargaming Seattle|
|Known for||Founder of Gas Powered Games|
|Total Annihilation |
Chris Taylor is a video game designer and entrepreneur most famous for developing Total Annihilation and the Dungeon Siege series and for founding Gas Powered Games. In 2002, GameSpy named him the "30th most influential person in gaming."
Taylor moved to Seattle, Washington in January 1996 when he joined Cavedog Entertainment as the designer and project leader for the real-time strategy computer game Total Annihilation and its first expansion, Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency.
In the August 2005 edition of PC Gamer, it was announced that Gas Powered Games was developing Supreme Commander, Chris's first RTS game since 1997. It is described as the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, but was not able to be named as such because Atari (formerly Infogrames) owns the rights to the Total Annihilation name. Although Atari has shown no interest in reviving the TA franchise, the company nonetheless held on to it until July 2013.
He also helped create the game's standalone expansion Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.
End Of Gas Powered Games
On January 14, 2013, Chris Taylor kickstarted a new project called "Wildman". On February 11, 2013, Chris Taylor shut down the kickstarter for "Wildman" prematurely. Four days before the campaign's end the pledged amount was only $504,120 of the required $1.1 million.
- HardBall II (1989) (designer, programmer)
- The Duel: Test Drive II (1989) (designer, programmer)
- 4D Sports Boxing (1991) (designer, programmer)
- Triple Play 96 (1995) (designer, programmer)
- Total Annihilation (1997) (director)
- Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency (1998) (director)
- Dungeon Siege (2002) (director)
- Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna (2003) (executive producer)
- Dungeon Siege II (2005) (creative director)
- Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony (2006) (creative director)
- Dungeon Siege II: Broken World (2006) (creative director)
- Supreme Commander (2007) (lead designer)
- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (2007) (creative director)
- Space Siege (2008) (creative director)
- Demigod (2009) (creative director)
- Supreme Commander 2 (2010) (lead designer)
- Kings and Castles (cancelled)
- "Discover Wargaming Seattle". Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "GameSpy's 30 Most Influential People in Gaming" Archived 2008-10-04 at WebCite. March 2002. GameSpy.
- Keighley, Geoffrey (2007). "The Total Annihilation: The Story So Far". gamespot.com. Archived from the original on 2007-08-07. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Gas Powered Games Interview - Part 1". PC Gameworld. 2003-09-30. Archived from the original on 2005-03-20. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- Adam Solo. Wargaming Takes Master of Orion, Stardock Gets Star Control. Spacesector.com July 2013. Retrieved 2015-09-06
- Grayson, Nathan (2013-01-14). "Chris Taylor On GPG's Prehistoric RTS-RPG, Wildman". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- Schreier, Jason. "With Four Days To Go, Chris Taylor Cancels Wildman Kickstarter". Kotaku.
- "Gaming veteran Chris Taylor leaves Wargaming to start independent studio".
- "Supreme Commander Wins Best E3 Strategy Game Award From Industry's Top Game Critics". THQ. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- "2006 Winners". gamecriticsawards.com. Retrieved 2008-01-11.